• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch really hot

Oldschool71

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 SR Viper
I took my 14 viper out for a short spin around the yard and upon finishing I noticed a slight smell of what I would call belt burning smell. I took my cover off and felt the belt and it felt a lil warm then I felt the clutches. The primary clutch was almost to hot to even put my hand on it. The place that I was feeling was on the inside of the clutch plates. I just installed the belt adjuster on it and a brand new 8dn belt. Not sure why the clutch is getting so hot but I only took one lap around the yard so I'm obviously worried about how hot it would get on a long ride.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Do you have your secondary setup for the 8dn belt as in how high it rides in the secondary. If the belt is low in the secondary it will make the clutches work harder to get the sled in motion causing excessive heat.

I have the secondary tensioner backed out quite a ways. There are actually threads showing on the tensioner.

I have the osp belt adjuster and there are threads showing in the ring and I'm not sure I can back it out anymore then I already have it backed out. I don't have any belt squeal and the sled is not creeping ahead.

I guess I should give more background. I also installed ulmer clutch kit and sent my secondary to ulmer to have it machined as well. Not sure if that makes a difference but thought I would throw that out there.

I suspect your deflection is just too tight. Start with removing belt and just setting it in the secondary. Make belt 1/16 to flush the fine tune from there on the snow.

Your saying go 1/16 above flush on the secondary to flush

Checked the belt seating and it is exactly where you said it should be. So not sure what to look for next. Is it maybe because the belt is brand new?

If clutches are working properly springs not broke or improperly installed then I would look at brake itself. grab the disc and it should wiggle a bit. You didn't have parking brake engaged right?

Back