• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch Shim and top end

x2thez

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha Viper LTX
2009 Yamaha Vector LTX
1987 Yamaha Bravo
Can someone enlighten me on the purpose of a clutch shim in the primary clutch? I seem to recall reading someone saying to do a 4mm, but go up to a 6mm for more top end?

Can someone enlighten me on the purpose of a clutch shim in the primary clutch? I seem to recall reading someone saying to do a 4mm, but go up to a 6mm for more top end?
This is in COTC .I think it was more shims give you more pull down low but takes away from top end.

This is in COTC .I think it was more shims give you more pull down low but takes away from top end.
Yes theory just theory IF you are using full sheave the tighter to the belt the sheaves start out the further up the belt could go at full shift. Aaen says basically never to count on full shift because so much power is lost in cvt getting there. I believe that and geared accordingly but another benefit of closer belt to sheave clearance is smoother engagement. 911 clutch cover is on mine because of this and varying belt widths.

Back