• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Early dyno reports (850R)

Yeah something is weird with their numbers. The 900xrs also had smart shocks too. So a 23 850 XRS with smart shocks is 21lbs heavier than a 24 900R?! Is Gen5 that much lighter?
Notice they didn’t have a winder this year. Would have also liked to see a lynx weight.

He replied in comments that they didn't get their '24 Yamahas yet but were expecting them.

Lynx is heavier for sure. Extra bracing, big shocks, and the PPS3 is heavier too.

All the Polaris sleds hold 2 gallons of fuel more than Doo, and have E-start.

If these numbers are correct, an 850 comp turbo would weigh almost as much as a 900R with SS if it had e-start instead of shot. It is a bit surprising.

Its great these guys weigh the sleds and I would doubt they would screw any models weight results but the 850 backcountry and the 900Rs weights compared to some other models are a head scratcher for sure.

I've owned R-Motion Ski-Doos, and I gotta say the first season on the rear suspension is decently good, after that, the ride goes downhill, even re-building the shocks doesn't bring the ride back to new. I loved my Ski-Doos until I got a ride on my buddies Winder with the good QS3r shocks. Thats when I found out how a machine was supposed to ride and handle. I now see how at the end of the day why I was shot on the Doo. The Yama/Cats flat out walk away from the Doos on the trail effortlessly and the Doos can't keep pace is what I've found. We are always waiting on the Doos when we start to pick up the pace even slightly.

One problem you have with your Winder is the SE shocks, when I ride a SE here for any length of time, I cant stand them, even though its a Winder, it rides and steers like a dump truck IMO. If I had to ride a SE I don't think I'd own a Winder honestly. I feel its the worst riding Yama/Cat there is. Maybe I'm spoiled with the LE, but the GT's and DX's ride very good too, there's something about the way the SE is valved that makes it intolerable for me for steering effort and ride quality. I'd have something done with those shocks, I'm not a shock guy and I wouldn't know how to fix it, but I know Yamaha missed the mark on the SE shocks...
I will say my 18 SE does sound like a diesel dump truck at idle! lol
Our ski doo buddies seem to love it so I managed to dial the handling and ride in. I had a DX to compare to (a friends). But yeah, not sure what to do when shock time comes, but softer on mine is definately better and lots more fun.

I'm back in Illinois. Not exactly sure what I'm going to do?!?! Going to stay here for another year or two, I think.
BTW, the cost of living in Florida is relatively cheap, being so close to paradise.
The natural destructive forces are tearing the state apart. Homeowners insurance is climbing at an alarming rate. With each step being 50 to 100% increase as of right now. One year you'll get quoted $2k and the next year it can go up to $3k or $4k.
If I told you everything you wouldn't believe it's real.
The last hurricane left the city of Fort Myers in shambles. Homes left unrepaired, as insurance companies scramble to fortify their finances.
Move here, upstate ny..but bring lots of cash for the insane laws we have..but....we have a nice grass drag strip! Who needs snow anyway...lol

Lets take a moment out of our day to give this a view and do everything we can to discredit him. Valve cover has never been removed. Completely stock turbo, etc. I watch him purchase and modify for a year now.

He drinks a lot of beer me thinks..lol...Ive watched several videos, recently an apex track change as I couldnt remember all the easy ways so a refresher for me.

Its great these guys weigh the sleds and I would doubt they would screw any models weight results but the 850 backcountry and the 900Rs weights compared to some other models are a head scratcher for sure.

The XRS model Doos, have heavy shocks (15 lbs on just the front two shocks alone, we weighed them) and a bunch of structural bracing in them. The SS electrical activated shock packages are even heavier yet. The X package is lighter and the base models are by far the lightest. All the good options add a bunch of weight on a Doo!

The 900 engine is prolly only 30-35 lbs heavier than a 850, the xrs and comp packages weigh about that when added with all the components, so it all adds up. Thy gotta be braced up or they’ll fold up when pounded hard.

Move here, upstate ny..but bring lots of cash for the insane laws we have..but....we have a nice grass drag strip! Who needs snow anyway...lol
Illinois ( the sewer I like to call it) also has insane laws and taxes which is why everyone is leaving but least you have nice scenery up there lol

Illinois ( the sewer I like to call it) also has insane laws and taxes which is why everyone is leaving but least you have nice scenery up there lol
It's no secret that since COVID a large mast has moved from Illinois & New York, as well as other states to Florida.
Strong income can be made, but once that's done, it's time to move on. Lol.

From the little I've read, the Ski-Doo 850comp was built with shot to help negate the weight penalty of the meth set-up. Makes some sense.
Meth tank, pump, lines, etc. 15lb????
Battery 14lbs???
Polaris boost being it's only competitor.

He drinks a lot of beer me thinks..lol...Ive watched several videos, recently an apex track change as I couldnt remember all the easy ways so a refresher for me.
It's a YouTube channel what do you expect. I like the way it comes across as a beer drinking regular guy. Lol.
He doesn't come across as some dedicated racer trying to achieve some goal. He just happened across a pretty fast combination.
Take a peek at that speed track he built, the nuts almost look like they came from a hardware store. Lol.
He has a video of him shaving down that track. Lol. He's too much....I like him.

I updated a chart I posted previously, and this chart is in available in excel in the sidewinder spreadsheet I have shared previously. Of interest, I do not believe that snowtrax should be weighing all of the sleds with full tanks as the Polaris sleds have greater capacity and therefore an instant weight penalty. I added a column called WT-Fuel WT (wet weight - fuel weight) that shows the normalized weights without considering fuel keeping in mind that the polaris sleds still have bigger tanks (more plastic). I also added columns to note whether the sleds had e-start (battery + Starter) and for the doos with Shot, I just put "no" in that column because they don't have the battery or starter. There is a new column for e-shocks (smart/ATAC/IQS) Posting twice, once sorted alphabetically, once by Wt-Fuel Wt.

1703775938029.png

1703776124710.png

with compensation for battery/starter. This is relevant because it compares sled weights after normalizing features, but irrelevant because hey, if you can get away without the battery and starter then that's a real world advantage for any given sled. Note that the weight added is based on Ski-Doos published difference between battery+starter vs Shot start (22lbs)

1703776501798.png

(Catalyst 850 weight is off because I added e-start in the formula but it likely weighs the same or less than the Catalyst 600)

Last edited:
We do usually get snow off Ontario into Old Forge so its rare to never be able to ride. They had 3 feet back during hunting season. It can change in a day. Nice mudholes too if the ground isnt frozen!!
If Illinois is a sewer, NY is (politically) a septic tank.

It's a YouTube channel what do you expect. I like the way it comes across as a beer drinking regular guy. Lol.
He doesn't come across as some dedicated racer trying to achieve some goal. He just happened across a pretty fast combination.
Take a peek at that speed track he built, the nuts almost look like they came from a hardware store. Lol.
He has a video of him shaving down that track. Lol. He's too much....I like him.
Agreed!
We need a Scotty Kilmer of snowmobiles....tell us trash talk...not how everything is rosy and the best ever. When last year was the best ever...lol!

Back