• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Future Yamaha Jet Boat owner

erosled said:
The current Yamaha boats are really nice, and get excellent reviews. The marine (aka Waverunner) engines that power them are very low maint. and dead reliable. Took a glance at the website, but I didn't see the supercharged 1800 engine being offered? Not that the non-sc engine is a slouch, just that the "215ish hp" SHO engine is either closer to 270, or everyone elses (pwc) engine is around 200hp. Either way, sounds like summer fun!

yeah they offer the 1.8L engine for the new 2010 models but minus the supercharger so who knows if the 10's are more hp than the 09's. they dropped the 1052cc ho engine in the waverunners and replaced it with the no sc 1.8L i think that sc sho engine has got be at least 250hp. that would be sweet with 2 of those in a boat.

the model i bought sx230ho is the best selling jet boat on the market and the most award winning model. so i think yamaha is doing something right with their jet boats

thephast1 said:
I'm just saying what everyone is thinking when lazy shares his abrasive opinion as if it's gospel.

Good point!! But you getting the last word adds fuel to the fire!!

LazyBastard said:
biffdotorg said:
"polaris" jet boat? Please fill us in or do we need someone to yell "shenanigans"!!!
Too lazy to google? Took you more effort to write this response than it would have taken you to just look it up yourself.

http://tinyurl.com/ybh7tyr

Hey, thanks for the google search. It proved my point. Polaris never made a jet boat. Baja and Mercury made that boat and polaris put their name all over it.

I come from the land of Polaris up here, they never built a boat. I guess that is common practice to not build many of the components, i will give you that. But Polaris didn't build hardly a thing on that unit.

I guess I was proven wrong by someone with google skills. Or was I?

Enjoy the Yamaha jet boat, I am truly jealous!! My cousin had one of these bigger ones. the ladder built into the bow was great engineering. That's not even to mention the swim deck on the back with stereo controls and spot for the table to be moved outside!! Combine that with Yamaha engines... say no more!

Good luck with it! Post pics once you get it in the water!!

looks like a great boat! you will defiantly enjoy it. now that the snow is pretty much gone i cant wait for the water to be warm enough to get to dock out and the boat in they are a ton of fun.

You will love the boat. It is a great family boat and the rear platform is great for swimming or sandbar stops. It gets no worse gas mileage than anything else.

The new 2010 boats are really only getting a couple more mph than what you will get with your SX230HO. I sold my SX210 last year and am thinking about getting a new one. I would get a set of cobra fins and that will help your low speed handling.

My point is very simple if you people would get your heads out of your asses and actually try to understand things rather than just blindfolding yourselves when faced with the possibility that there is actually something BETTER or MORE INTELLIGENT than your own choice.

Take two thing, they do exactly the same thing, they cost the same amount, everything is virtually identical between the two, but one uses a FRACTION of the fuel compared to the other.... WHICH IS BETTER?

All else being equal, would you actually PREFER to pay $100/hr for fuel rather than $20/hr? And just for fun, lets just throw in an extra 20-ish mph on to the one that uses LESS fuel.

To blatantly ignore these differences is the HEIGHT of IGNORANCE.

Have fun with your pig boats.

biffdotorg said:
Hey, thanks for the google search. It proved my point. Polaris never made a jet boat. Baja and Mercury made that boat and polaris put their name all over it.
Proven.

I come from the land of Polaris up here, they never built a boat. I guess that is common practice to not build many of the components, i will give you that. But Polaris didn't build hardly a thing on that unit.
Irrelevant.
It was sold AS a polaris, BY polaris dealers, and the hull, though OUTSOURCED, was built for THAT SPECIFIC BOAT, which happened to be sold ONLY BY POLARIS.

Your logic simply does not follow.

I guess I was proven wrong by someone with google skills. Or was I?
You sure were.
You were proven incapable of performing a TRIVIAL SEARCH.

Not going to get into the efficiency argument, but just wanted to give the perspective buyer a couple of other points to consider when buying a boat of that size (21-24ft).
Are you planning to have a lot of aggressive skiiers pulled behind the boat? If so, consider a v-drive (best) or stern drive (acceptable) as most stronger slalom skiiers can pull the back end of a jet all over the place- making it difficult for the driver and skiier.
As mentioned previously- the jets can be a handful around the docks because they don't hold course very well without a rudder of some type in the water. (although I thought I read in an earlier post that there are aftermarket "rudders" that can be installed- helping directional stability somewhat).
Rough water can be a handful in a jet as well (been there, experienced that!!!)- once again due to the lack of a stabilizing force in the water (outdrive, etc.).
There are others I'm sure, but these are the biggest ones I can think of right now. My most recent boat was purchased from a dealer that also sold Yamaha boats and I was very tempted by them. They are very well thought out and obviously the motors are quality. In the end (mainly due to the type of boating I do and the water my boat sees) I ended up purchasing a stern drive 24ft and have been very happy. The drawbacks (water depth issues) are minimal. In the end- whatever gets you out on the water is great- just don't fall head-over-heels simply because it's a "Yamaha" without looking at other options.

the sx230ho is simply perfect for what i am planning to do with it. i will have cobra fins on it probably before it touches water. i'm used to jet drive b/c i've owned and been around jet skis all my life. i know what to expect.

i've made up my mind so talking me out of it or mentioning other options is pointless.

LazyBastard said:
My point is very simple if you people would get your heads out of your asses and actually try to understand things rather than just blindfolding yourselves when faced with the possibility that there is actually something BETTER or MORE INTELLIGENT than your own choice.

Take two thing, they do exactly the same thing, they cost the same amount, everything is virtually identical between the two, but one uses a FRACTION of the fuel compared to the other.... WHICH IS BETTER?

All else being equal, would you actually PREFER to pay $100/hr for fuel rather than $20/hr? And just for fun, lets just throw in an extra 20-ish mph on to the one that uses LESS fuel.

To blatantly ignore these differences is the HEIGHT of IGNORANCE.

Have fun with your pig boats.

I think MOST of see your point...it just doesn't matter. Your arguement is very logical...you of all people should know that boating is not always based on logic. It's about fun and this guy chooses to do that in a Jetboat. He's at least bought a quality boat which in my eyes is more logical then buying an inexpensive, poorly constructed outboard powered boat just to save some gas money.

LazyBastard said:
DoktorC said:
My boat's fun Lazy...and it can burn close to $100/hr...but then again I'll be 40 miles ahead of you :).
I don't believe you that your boat can go 110 mph...
How much does it burn at 45-50 mph (to compare to the top end of a jetdrive)?

I honestly have NO idea on my fuel usage...it doesn't even register as a concern. It won't do 110...I said I was 40mph faster then you...which I stand by ;). It does actually have the potential to run that fast...I'm just working my way up (32pitch, 1.80 gears, 7500rpm...if you want to check my numbers..the cleaver runs about 6% slip).

Just quit calling people names and insulting their boats....

Lazy are you for real? Comparing an outboard motor with a yamaha jet boat made for families and taking 10people. The guy doesn't want the fastest bass boat on the lake.

Don't worry you will love the yamaha boat. No worries about water depth it only draws about 18". It handles the big waves great with the deep v-hull. You can pull tubers and skiers with ease all day. The cobra fins will help the slow speed handling and the best part of the boat is the party deck on the back. The two storage coolers are great for partying all day. Lots of storage space and you have easy maint. on the egines. Change the oil, plugs, check battery and grease the back shaft.

There is no boat for the price that competes with the Yamaha jet boat. You look at the other boats in the price range of what you get with the Yamaha boats and you are easily looking at spending an extra $20-30K.

My word of advice is I would look for a used boat and go with it. There was a guy who had a 232 in MD for a great price.

Anyone who buys a boat to "Save" money is just kidding themselves.

Boating-a hole in the water in which you throw your money!

Great sport, but expensive any way you look at it. Buy what you like and enjoy it.

Back