• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Highest Speeds on Sidewinder/Thundercat

Buddy i ride with had a deer jump over him tapping the sled windshield tip and then his helmet during daylight hours. He was certainly surprised, but managed to keep it straight. I got to watch it happen as I was behind him.
I’ve see deer go right through the windshield . Wasn’t pretty

Ontario is 31 mph.
I have often wondered about this and it has been my main reason to stay out of Canada. Is it really ever enforced on open trails? Very ridiculous as a general speed limit

This fellow crossed my path. As you can see by my helmet full of snow, I wasn't able to stay on the sled until it came to a stop.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240221_173832_com.google.android.apps.messaging.jpg
    Screenshot_20240221_173832_com.google.android.apps.messaging.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I have often wondered about this and it has been my main reason to stay out of Canada. Is it really ever enforced on open trails? Very ridiculous as a general speed limit
I ride with off-duty police officers sometimes. I have no idea why the limit is so low as no one abides by it. Even if you get a ticket, it doesn't matter if you're going 100mph, the fine is $100, no points and it doesn't affect your insurance.

We have OPP set up at the trailer loading road near the local trail. I have seen them do the slow down gesture to tell someone to slow down before they point the gun at them. Usually you get the 'lets keep the trails safe' speech which is perfectly fine by me. I haven't seen them hand out a ticket yet. The one time I was stopped was to be asked how the riding was. I think he was just checking to see if there were obvious signs of drinking.

Over the years I regularly did a 200 mile one way trip commute mostly at night in our area on a two lane road that has a lot of Deer, Moose, Bears and other wildlife. The last car I was using was a Subaru WRX STI with lighting like a rally car.
A few things I observed:
-a Deer will lift its head and look at you, their eyes are usually reflecting your headlights, they are highly unpredictable and will spook and run right in front of you but they don't always move.
-Moose will usually turn away from you and look back with eyes that are less reflective and more redish brown in color. I usually recognized a Moose by noticing an object on or beside the road darker then the night as the lights do not reflect off of their bodies. If a moose spooks they will retrace their steps and head right back where they came from even if its right in front of you. In the winter if you observe snow tracks across the road when you see a Moose get on the brakes as they rarely remain stationary.
-Bears are like Moose...you observe something on or near the road darker then the night.

Deer are bad enough around here and another reason I don't like hi-speeds, can't imagine hitting a moose!

I split thru a group of 6 deer running once at about 123 MPH on a straightaway and got REAL LUCKY, one hit the right side of my sled with his back hoof, and the deer on my left got his nose or head hit. One took off my registration number and the other a decal on the opposite side of my panel. I was so dang lucky! Sled ripping at over 120 MPH and 6 deer running full boar thru an opening as fast as they could.... It upset the sled and sent me skating right and left as I regained control, I assume one caught a ski somehow and changed my direction slightly. All 6 deer kept on running however across the field when I looked backwards. I had no time to do anything but brace for impact and think of a lot of things in my punny stupid pea brain...

I watched two deer come across the field with every intention to make it to the timber in front of my wife. I couldn’t catch up to her to warn her in time and the deer made it 10 yds in front of her. Scared her pretty bad. Still talks about it all the time. I caught up to some turkeys one time and had to duck as one bumped my windshield. Probably not the smartest thing I have done. No harm no fowl.

What really gets me are the people who bring apples to feed the deer. This trains them to hang around where sleds go. I view the deer as 150-pound rodents.

We have all had near misses with wildlife. These stories remind us that the throttle is adjusted by thumb pressure.

My buddy I ride with got attacked by a hawk! NO BS . The thing flew behind him and bumped his head in the back on his helmet. This was on a stretch that was pretty tight and twisty, no way for him to outrun the thing. It made two runs at him and nudged him in the back of his helmet. Funny part is im leading and I actually saw the hawk and thought wow he is flying low and right down the trail. It was on Trail #1 going north(out of Presque Isle) right on the Michigan border. We were in Michigan by about 2 miles when this happened. Also had 2 Moose standing on the trail within 3-4 miles of Chaney Lake (right on the border WI/MI) border.
Plenty of close calls(deer) on trail #2 around Watersmeet also. One Deer my buddy got. I like to wind it up top and usually will hold on a few stretches that are slightly more wide open on the sides of the trail but usually cruise around 50-60 on the grades, not that you cant get in trouble at those speeds.

My buddy I ride with got attacked by a hawk! NO BS . The thing flew behind him and bumped his head in the back on his helmet. This was on a stretch that was pretty tight and twisty, no way for him to outrun the thing. It made two runs at him and nudged him in the back of his helmet. Funny part is im leading and I actually saw the hawk and thought wow he is flying low and right down the trail. It was on Trail #1 going north(out of Presque Isle) right on the Michigan border. We were in Michigan by about 2 miles when this happened. Also had 2 Moose standing on the trail within 3-4 miles of Chaney Lake (right on the border WI/MI) border.
Plenty of close calls(deer) on trail #2 around Watersmeet also. One Deer my buddy got. I like to wind it up top and usually will hold on a few stretches that are slightly more wide open on the sides of the trail but usually cruise around 50-60 on the grades, not that you cant get in trouble at those speeds.
Ya I’ve ran into deer on trail 2 by watersmeet didn’t hit any thankfully

I just haven't been on a long enough lake with good surface to hold it open till she is fully wound out. I've on some long straight awesome trails but chicken out after 115(some left in it) thinking of deer/moose popping out.

Reactions: EWK
I’ve been up to 134 gps on a lake but things were getting scary and my weren’t big enough to go any faster on not a prepped track. See what I can do this weekend in 1000’ shaved ice.
5AF72598-BCE6-4617-9902-77425E4264C0.jpeg

Last edited:

Back