• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I took the Fat girl to the mountains

silverram323

Expert
Website
beyondsynthetics.net
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder XT-X 141
We headed to island park, Idaho for a week of off trail / boondocking.

I have the xtx 141, I put on a 2.6" power claw track.

The sled climbs really well, actually to well. Most of the time I'm only 1/2 throttle. I have had numerous times I thought I was going over using WOT on a hill climb and I had to feather the throttle.

Here is what I don't like, this fat girl nose dives like a bull dozer.
Everyone else is riding 2 strokes and don't fight it like I do.
I do have the 7" wide skidoo pilot skis.

In a straight line, this thing is WICKED.. we raced a few times up a good hill and there is no comparison between the turbo and the 2 strokes.

I did blow my first belt today, 1423 miles on the original belt, and it included around 85 miles of full on boondocking in the mountains.. I dam near flew over the bars when she blew, of course it was on a hill climb and on a steep hill. I had to take the secondary apart because there was pieces of the belt inside.

88b67aa70d278b9f902d0c69908b139b.jpg

aa5bcd30a7e3ec940c108f86fdd89626.jpg

cace73dbdbf623b883804a44ee0b4165.jpg

e67c6eb35a0a8f186bc5455295f4031f.jpg

af4e22d14a890910452d91c99400d970.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Awesome pictures. Look fun except for the belt part

Did the 2.6" pc fit fine with the 8 tooth driver's or did you have to go down to 7 tooth?

Wow those are awesome pics!

Why would you run a belt with that many miles on it out in elevation?

I dont think Id run any belt past 1000 miles even on flatland....JMO

Love the pics!

Wow those are awesome pics!

Why would you run a belt with that many miles on it out in elevation?

I dont think Id run any belt past 1000 miles even on flatland....JMO

Love the pics!

IMO, thats like changing out your car tires at 25k miles. I have never took off a good belt just to throw a new one on.
I would have to say, in the past, i have always heard a belt STARTING TO GO, before it pops. This was no warning at all.

ea58ddc1efbd658c3b71fee0a3011175.jpg

1f23a0ecd2ac24a21c7cca59dc2e38c1.jpg

de772ef337a2e2c50e5bcccd2f7dcd97.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree completely in general about the belts. Why change? BUT in this case, your belt had over 1000 miles AND you switched tracks to go play in the steep and deep. Pic #2 of above post - beauty!

It fits with the 8 tooth drivers, but it rubs a little on the 3' deep whoops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Rubs on the cooler or tunnel, or both?

Alot different on a sled with this kind of HP....Belts should be changed "proactively".

The catastrophic damage that can be caused to an engine is real, not to mention the plastics and clutches.

IMO, thats like changing out your car tires at 25k miles. I have never took off a good belt just to throw a new one on.
I would have to say, in the past, i have always heard a belt STARTING TO GO, before it pops. This was no warning at all.

what sound does it make to warn of impending destruction ?

ea58ddc1efbd658c3b71fee0a3011175.jpg

1f23a0ecd2ac24a21c7cca59dc2e38c1.jpg

de772ef337a2e2c50e5bcccd2f7dcd97.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alot different on a sled with this kind of HP....Belts should be changed "proactively".

The catastrophic damage that can be caused to an engine is real, not to mention the plastics and clutches.
If I had seen this before I took off across Lake Muskoka on Sunday in a foot and a half , of powder on top of glare ice , I may have looked at my belt and maybe have avoided the disintegration of a well used belt .
Was running at 6500 to 7500 + rpms for about 20 minutes straight , and then kaboom !
I had about 1800 klms, on the belt , so it owes me nothing . (all stock)
I in fact owed it a better fate then ending up in a hundred pieces in the clutch area .
Never realized how much the strands in the belt chews up every part of both clutches they touch.
Luckily there wasn't a piece big enough to bust out thru the hood or belly pan.
Had to remove the secondary as it was jammed open with cords, and take it to get cleaned out .
Getting the belt back on was a little harder than I recall , when you don't know how to do it.
I became complacent , because I never had any issues with my Apex's.
I guess I may have been more proactive in my earlier days .
lesson learned .

If I had seen this before I took off across Lake Muskoka on Sunday in a foot and a half , of powder on top of glare ice , I may have looked at my belt and maybe have avoided the disintegration of a well used belt .
Was running at 6500 to 7500 + rpms for about 20 minutes straight , and then kaboom !
I had about 1800 klms, on the belt , so it owes me nothing . (all stock)
I in fact owed it a better fate then ending up in a hundred pieces in the clutch area .
Never realized how much the strands in the belt chews up every part of both clutches they touch.
Luckily there wasn't a piece big enough to bust out thru the hood or belly pan.
Had to remove the secondary as it was jammed open with cords, and take it to get cleaned out .
Getting the belt back on was a little harder than I recall , when you don't know how to do it.
I became complacent , because I never had any issues with my Apex's.
I guess I may have been more proactive in my earlier days .
lesson learned .
Yeah its a mess for sure...and You just never know what kind of stress you can put on sheaves and other things with those cords flying around.

Not sure I would ever hold one of these sleds for that long of time period....Apex for sure, but not this sled.

Back