• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

if you could upgrade one thing on your RX1??

For me the sled rode 'heavy' and felt like a slug until I went with the ZX2 rear suspension. It turned it into a riders sled, has fast as you want, as high as you want, and just soaks up moguls. Transforms the ride. That said the ergo's were so poor and I am 6'1" and had to do that Apex mountain seat (firmer) and I think I did a 6 or 8" risor. If I had to pick one, I would no doubt say the Zx2 rear suspension. That is just me, I'm a mid 30's Dad that likes to pound the sled, now when I'm 50 I may change my tune but if you like aggressive riding I would say rear suspension, if you like comfort then go ergo's with tall firm apex seat and bars. Point of note there is a massive difference in seats from the apex. The MTX and RTX had a firmer one and they are dimensionally identical to the GT and ER versions. I had both and the GT or soft seat would let me rear sink in so much my knees hurt and it was impossible to stand up, the MTX one was perfect and my knees never went lower then 90 degree bend. Huge difference.

Another up grade we had to do was rear heat exchangers on our mountain rx1....they were overheating trail riding in certain conditions
My dads sled over heated on time last season on a real hard trail.. then my ski poop kicked the bucket and it over heated the whole way back. (About a 20ish pretty straight shot into the trails) I'm def looking into that fotbhim
Seat if you only do one upgrade. The risers will work great with a taller seat.
Well I ordered power mod riser kit think it's 6in the seat is next for Father's Day.. then his carbides they need an improvement. Thank you all you for feedback and info.. when we start taking everything apart and putting it all back together I'll show some pics!

For me the sled rode 'heavy' and felt like a slug until I went with the ZX2 rear suspension. It turned it into a riders sled, has fast as you want, as high as you want, and just soaks up moguls. Transforms the ride. That said the ergo's were so poor and I am 6'1" and had to do that Apex mountain seat (firmer) and I think I did a 6 or 8" risor. If I had to pick one, I would no doubt say the Zx2 rear suspension. That is just me, I'm a mid 30's Dad that likes to pound the sled, now when I'm 50 I may change my tune but if you like aggressive riding I would say rear suspension, if you like comfort then go ergo's with tall firm apex seat and bars. Point of note there is a massive difference in seats from the apex. The MTX and RTX had a firmer one and they are dimensionally identical to the GT and ER versions. I had both and the GT or soft seat would let me rear sink in so much my knees hurt and it was impossible to stand up, the MTX one was perfect and my knees never went lower then 90 degree bend. Huge difference.
I have no idea how I missed this one but we are in the same boat. I'm 6'5 235 and Dad is 6'4 300(he will be 270 by riding season if I have anything to say about it) Dad is going on for a full knee replacement this summer so anything to help that would be great!

I have no idea how I missed this one but we are in the same boat. I'm 6'5 235 and Dad is 6'4 300(he will be 270 by riding season if I have anything to say about it) Dad is going on for a full knee replacement this summer so anything to help that would be great!

Given your height the wrp seats are a must have. Apex seats are improvement but not as good as wrp. Seats are by far the most popular item I sell for the Rx sleds. If not able to install seat kit I have seat pans and can sell you wrp seat installed on pan and ready to mount on sled.

Given your height the wrp seats are a must have. Apex seats are improvement but not as good as wrp. Seats are by far the most popular item I sell for the Rx sleds. If not able to install seat kit I have seat pans and can sell you wrp seat installed on pan and ready to mount on sled.
Sent you a message.. I have my list! I'll be getting the seat, all ready have the handle bar riser.. but having a hard time getting throttle and break extension..

all ready have the handle bar riser.. but having a hard time getting throttle and break extension..

What I did was ordered a throttle cable for an RX-1 Mountain and re-routed brake cable (i.e. disconnected/bypassed hose clamp mount on radiator fluid overfill reservoir and just let cable sit on top of hose bracket). That little bit helped me but I was only running a 4" riser. Check with Travis and see what he has/suggests.

Im new to the forum and love the knowledge that you guys have about the Yamahas.. I have an 05 RX1, and have only ordered a set of handle bar risers.. after reading 10+ pages I read about people changing rear shocks, front shocks...seats.. skis the whole nine yards.. so if you could only change one thing on a stock rx1 what would it be??
I have an 03 RX-1 mountain. The best thing that I have done to mine is put ohlins shocks on the front. Made it ride like you are floating on clouds.
All updates.
Widen front end to 42"
Added rear crossover heat exchanger
USI skies
Handle bar riser with hooked bars
Yamaheater
LED light kit

I have a rx 1 and i love it. If i had to change one thing it would be the suspension. I would like it to sit a little higher. New seat i am 6' 3 and i sit to low amd knees to bent...need help on that

Last edited:
3best mods i did to my rx war was the riser, mountain mod (wrp equivilent) seat and 13mm swaybar. these where the best bang for the buck on a stock rx sled.

Im new to the forum and love the knowledge that you guys have about the Yamahas.. I have an 05 RX1, and have only ordered a set of handle bar risers.. after reading 10+ pages I read about people changing rear shocks, front shocks...seats.. skis the whole nine yards.. so if you could only change one thing on a stock rx1 what would it be??
Clutch. Really wakes things up.

A wrp seat

Ok guys here is what's coming so far..
4-8inch adjustable handle bar riser (and all the cables etc)
WRP seat kit
New hyfax
4th wheel kit to help save the hyfax
New led head lights.
The sled all ready has a clutch kit on it, also that's just what I got my dads rx1 I have picked up a nytro and I'm still paying on the tab.. thanks to Travis at barn of parts!

Back