• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Interesting Skid Shock Spring info

Thanks guys I will order one up. Will stick with 160 it rode fine in little stuff and worked Awesome in the big ones.

I have a spring tester I will bet that my stock center shock spring was bagged out at around 5000mi. Was adjusting it tighter and tighter end of last season. This will last longer and wont have to put so much preload on it.

With changing the spring do you have to have the shock revalved? Reason I asked I just had my shocks revalved this summer and I don't want the revalve fighting a different spring(sorry if this is stupid question I don't know much about shocks). If it doesn't effect anything I might have to pick one up and try it for my ltx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put 150mi on last thursday with the cat version. It is dual rate. Spend the $ and get a straight rate like Stingray has. I ended up putting so much preload to get rid of heavy front that the dual rate tightly wound part of spring was totally compressed and was no longer being used anymore. Straight rate is the way to go. That said I did find the sweet spot and was easily able to get front end light for even 4 ft rollers at 60mph "Testing". Higher rate helped alot. Not sure if you can see them in pic but this was ungroomed and big nice rollers for 30mi into Baraga. FUN!
View attachment 114453

I tried the 160 cat's spring and bizarrely I have to increase the pressure in the rear to limit the botomming ? Weird ...or maybe blew out my rear fox ?

I tried the 160 cat's spring and bizarrely I have to increase the pressure in the rear to limit the botomming ? Weird ...or maybe blew out my rear fox ?
Maybe but more likely you just didn't crank preload up enough to get into the main spring on that cat dual rate. Bet I went a good 1/2in or more.

Dual is all I found in cat or yamaha
Hi cann
Dual is all I found in cat or yamaha
Hi Cannondale!

Did y nitic
Maybe but more likely you just didn't crank preload up enough to get into the main spring on that cat dual rate. Bet I went a good 1/2in or more.

Did you noticed a big improuvement with 160 Zbroz's spring vs 160 cat's ?
Or simply crank it more will do the job. If not I will go with straight rate;)

Has Yamaha changed the spring on the '16 XTXs? I checked the parts catalogue and both the '15 and '16 XTX center spring's have the same parts number.

I ordered the 160# Zbroz spring but because shopping to Norway was way too expensive I shipped to BOP so he could ship it together with my Curves to Norway. Unfortunately there's been a shipping incident and the address label had fallen off, so the package was returned to US and is now MIA :O Hopefully USPS can locate the package and send it back to BOP so he can re-ship it to me.

But in case I don't get it before my first trip end of this month I wanted to order a spring from Yamaha, as I have a local Yamaha dealer. Does Yamaha have a 160# spring and what's the parts number?

Birkebeiner

I dont believe cat or Yamaha have a straight 160. I have the cat dual rate in right now and Zbros straight rate on order. Get a straight rate.

With changing the spring do you have to have the shock revalved? Reason I asked I just had my shocks revalved this summer and I don't want the revalve fighting a different spring(sorry if this is stupid question I don't know much about shocks). If it doesn't effect anything I might have to pick one up and try it for my ltx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It wont affect rebound as bad as having your stock spring cranked up. So Go for it. Mine are all revalved.

I dont believe cat or Yamaha have a straight 160. I have the cat dual rate in right now and Zbros straight rate on order. Get a straight rate.

Until I get my Zbroz 160# spring, I guess a dual rate 160# spring should be better than the (115#?) stock spring? If I can get it from my local dealer for a decent price, that is!

Birkebeiner

Back