• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Knockout kit

So, I take it that Hurricane weighted stubshaft gizmo fix didn't work?
I have had the original Hurricane one piece weighted stubshaft on my sled from new, now over 5000 miles, and my primary clutch is virtually noise free with very little clutch component wear and very clean running 8DN and RedLine belts. I put a new Apex clutch on my sled a couple seasons ago for my trail setup only so I could keep my Sidewinder clutch on the shelf setup for snow drags but both clutches show little to no roller or pin wear. The Apex clutch is a little noisier then the SW clutch but only minimally.
There are now 3 additional Sidewinders in our riding group and their clutch rattle is very noticeable especially compared to the mine.
Definitely worked for me!:)

Just got of the phone with Tapp. Half the bag is all that's needed. Told me I should remove stub shaft and take some out. Ask why and was told to use at a later point.
So I'm not taking it apart and we'll report what happens as time goes by
But for you guys who have not installed your kit. Now you know what the recommended amount is.
its interesting they actually want you to take the extra grease out and didn't say don't worry about it.

Can’t say I noticed much difference. Still have a rattle. Pretty sure it’s coming from my pro4 clutch. Oh well needed to take it apart to locktite the bearing anyway

Can’t say I noticed much difference. Still have a rattle. Pretty sure it’s coming from my pro4 clutch. Oh well needed to take it apart to locktite the bearing anyway
mines night n day.. with side cover off i can hardly hear any clutch noise, id post the vid if theres a way, befor this kit is was LOUD,despite the calls to tapp i chose to put the full bag in, imo its not a case wheather it works or doesn't ... its how long it lasts

Ya, I just did mine on the new 23 today with the loctite and the kit. Just cant imagine this will do much of anything with the clutch rattle, cant believe I had to try it. Figured it may stop the rattle a bit in that 3500-4500 range, but I should know better.

The 1200 Doo has no stub shaft and splines and it will rattle the clutches like a bucket of bolts too. Cant be helped on a three cylinder four stroke. Just need a good clutch on it, but even my Tapp has the rattle at 4500 or so RPM.

Funny that Cat has clutches that don't rattle on this engine though.....

mines night n day.. with side cover off i can hardly hear any clutch noise, id post the vid if theres a way, befor this kit is was LOUD,despite the calls to tapp i chose to put the full bag in, imo its not a case wheather it works or doesn't ... its how long it lasts
Get a YouTube account and video it through YouTube. Then you can post that to the group

If the grease provided by tapp doesnt seem to last as long as one would like and they want to explore other options my suggestion would be to look at what schaeffers has to offer. I have used many brands over the year including amsoil and other “top” brands. Nothing even comes close to having the tack and resisting pound out like schaeffers. Been using in my logging equipment for the past 2 seasons and it is just incredible the difference in how it performs compared to others. They have alot of products to offer and not sure what would be best for this application but im sure there is something

Ya, I just did mine on the new 23 today with the loctite and the kit. Just cant imagine this will do much of anything with the clutch rattle, cant believe I had to try it. Figured it may stop the rattle a bit in that 3500-4500 range, but I should know better.

The 1200 Doo has no stub shaft and splines and it will rattle the clutches like a bucket of bolts too. Cant be helped on a three cylinder four stroke. Just need a good clutch on it, but even my Tapp has the rattle at 4500 or so RPM.

Funny that Cat has clutches that don't rattle on this engine though.....
I’ve done three winder s now , all noticeably much quieter. Only question now is longevity

If the grease provided by tapp doesnt seem to last as long as one would like and they want to explore other options my suggestion would be to look at what schaeffers has to offer. I have used many brands over the year including amsoil and other “top” brands. Nothing even comes close to having the tack and resisting pound out like schaeffers. Been using in my logging equipment for the past 2 seasons and it is just incredible the difference in how it performs compared to others. They have alot of products to offer and not sure what would be best for this application but im sure there is something
Can you tell us specifically which Grease that you find works well. Few to choose from. It's amazing that they have 5/6 different offerings in a NL#2.

Last edited:
I’ve done three winder s now , all noticeably much quieter. Only question now is longevity
Finding a grease that will meet someone's particular needs.
Some grease needs to work down to -50° and others - 10°
So it's apparent to me that it's not a one-size-fits-all process. I'd prefer something with a higher load index as opposed to another that works in more extreme temperature. More variables to grease, even thou the carry the same rating. NL#2 for example.
At -10° I'm still looking out the window.

Last edited:
Without knockout kit (stock exhaust)

With knockout kit - half the supplied grease (2.5” exhaust)

Well i wear hearing aids, but I can tell you yours sound like mine after we both installed the kit. Much quieter!

My Sidewinder with the Hurricane noise reduction shaft sounds about the same as the video with knockout ring installed and has for 4 seasons at idle and higher rpm.

Finding a grease that will meet someone's particular needs.
Some grease needs to work down to -50° and others - 10°
So it's apparent to me that it's not a one-size-fits-all process. I'd prefer something with a higher load index as opposed to another that works in more extreme temperature. More variables to grease, even thou the carry the same rating. NL#2 for example.
At -10° I'm still looking out the window.
As long as you are in the synthetics, you will find a much wider operating temperature range. The criteria I would focus on is impact, working pressure, shear resistance. They will dictate the life of the grease. Working RPM likely isn't a factor in our application. Look at NLGI 3 or higher as someone has already suggested and you will be into the 'tougher' greases.

Would the temp at which the grease will melt not be an important factor as well as the impact , working pressure,and shear resistance. It would appear to me since from stock there is no grease. The only thing that would matter is the grease we put in stays in place for as long as possible. But I'm no engineer.

Last edited:

Back