• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking at Buying a Turbo Apex

Phazernut

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
04 Viper ER.
96 V-Max 4
I have a chance to buy an 06 Apex with an MCX kit. The owner tells me the sled was done at a shop out in Alberta. It has a head shim and studs done and has a STM clutch which he says is good to about 500HP. The sled only has 2300km on it and is in showroom condition. Its been stretech to 137 with a 1.75 track. Has a pro logger on it as well. He says I can run pump gas up to about 220hp (8-10lbs boost)and then either a mix of race and pump or full race up to about 350hp. I had a turbo cat a few years ago but that was factory. What should i be looking for on this thing. I think im getting a pretty good deal on it 6k. Help a newbie to the boost world.

I have a chance to buy an 06 Apex with an MCX kit. The owner tells me the sled was done at a shop out in Alberta. It has a head shim and studs done and has a STM clutch which he says is good to about 500HP. The sled only has 2300km on it and is in showroom condition. Its been stretech to 137 with a 1.75 track. Has a pro logger on it as well. He says I can run pump gas up to about 220hp (8-10lbs boost)and then either a mix of race and pump or full race up to about 350hp. I had a turbo cat a few years ago but that was factory. What should i be looking for on this thing. I think im getting a pretty good deal on it 6k. Help a newbie to the boost world.

10 lbs of boost should be more like 250 hp.
I run my MCX 290 Apex at up to 15 PSI with a head shim on pump 91 fuel.
That said, the sled is an animal at that amount of boost. I mostly run 10 to 12 lbs. I have an AEM Tru Boost controller so it is very easy to vary the boost.
Sounds like a good build. STM is a good clutch & larger head studs are a must for high HP engines.
IMHO if you want to be sure what you are buying is good, do a leak down test. Compression test will not show all problems. Boost can hide a lot of sins.
Price is right if the motor is not hurt.

Well I kinda went a completely different route. I called the guy up and told him I would be out to get the sled. He told me I could have it after the races that weekend. That didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I could have the sled after he beat the guts out of it racing all weekend. Don't think so. Anyway I went back online and ended up with a like new 1996 V-Max 4-800. Spent half the cash and having a ball with it.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 106
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 99

Back