• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Looking at some RX 1's what should I look for ?

superfan75

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
RX Warrior
I have a 02' Viper that I'm thinking of selling to get a 4 stroke. I've seen some RX-1's that are in the $2000-$2500 price range and I was wondering of some possible trouble areas I should look for. I have a Polaris IQ rear skid in my Viper that I would keep and swap into the RX-1 if I get it. Also what does everyone think of these machines. They look and sound awesome, they seem like they would be a great machine to put a lot of miles on.

I would look for an '05. They got the bugs worked out by then. The '05 has a mono shock rear skid. There's a dial on the tunnel to adjust the ride. I believe it adjusts the rebound on the front shock. Not sure how it compares to the IQ. There's plenty of power. I like mine........

Here's some specs.....
http://www.snowmobile.com/specs/yamaha/ ... etail.html

03's and 04's had ring issues and are known to use a little oil. My 03 uses about a half a quart in 1,000 miles. Check to see if exhaust donuts have been replaced, my originals were toast at 4400 miles. If they have high miles ask about the bulkhead bushings and see if they have been replaced. If you are swapping a skid into it then suspension doesn't really matter. I would buy Rx1's all day long for $2,000 if they had good motors and weren't crashed.

Thanx for the replies. Are the exhaust donuts and bulkhead bushings expensive ? If it needs it is that a deal breaker if the sled is cheap ?

superfan75 said:
Thanx for the replies. Are the exhaust donuts and bulkhead bushings expensive ? If it needs it is that a deal breaker if the sled is cheap ?

The bushings and donuts are cheap about 200.00 bucks in parts. If you do the work free labor 6 hours for a first timer.

Even the oil burning issue isn't that bad. Not all of them had it, and from what I've gathered, only some 03's. My 04 doesn't burn a drop ever.

I have three of these sleds, will probally keep them forever. One does use a little oil, but at least it is getting fresh oil throughout the season :) (pint every 500 miles) I am wanting a SR Viper, but it will be a couple years when the intial hit comes off the value and all the bugs are figured out. Like to save money off price and pay cash for one, I will hand down one of mine to daughter or grandkid or something, they are going to run forever.
:4STroke: :yam: :rocks: :sled1:

For $200 in parts that's not a big deal at all. I just did a top end in my Viper and I swapped in an IQ skid so I can most likely figure it out. I like to do my own maintenance not only to save money, but also it makes me feel good to do it myself. Is there anyway to tell if one is using oil ? Do they smoke ? I also have my eye on a couple of Vectors. Are they pretty much the same machine with the 3 cylinder engine ? I imagine that's a good engine as well, just with less power than the RX1 which isn't that big of a deal to me. I don't ride real hard or fast anymore. My Viper goes fast enough for what I want. I just want that quiet smoke free ride and better fuel mileage.

Neither of those are that big of a deal, just something to be aware of, the donuts can be a pain to do but they aren't horrible. My 03 doesn't smoke at all, just sips some oil. It's not something I worry about, I run ring free additive because it slows the consumption some. I have even heard of a few Apex's that use some oil . I've heard good things about the 3 cylinder motor, but never have been on one to feel the power differnce.

Well I found an 04 RX 1 for $2000. I think I'm going to check it out. I can get almost that for my Viper so it wouldn't cost much in the end. I got a text back from the owner and he said it has 9000 miles on it and the engine has been rebuilt. Is this something to stay away from ? It doesn't seem that one of those engine should need a rebuild with that amount of miles. Although I guess if the rebuild was done right then it should be fine. As long as it sounds good and isn't burning oil is this something to worry about or should I keep looking. It's a good deal, but I don't want to get a lemon.

superfan75 said:
Well I found an 04 RX 1 for $2000. I think I'm going to check it out. I can get almost that for my Viper so it wouldn't cost much in the end. I got a text back from the owner and he said it has 9000 miles on it and the engine has been rebuilt. Is this something to stay away from ? It doesn't seem that one of those engine should need a rebuild with that amount of miles. Although I guess if the rebuild was done right then it should be fine. As long as it sounds good and isn't burning oil is this something to worry about or should I keep looking. It's a good deal, but I don't want to get a lemon.

Burning oil isn't a problem. As far as the rebuild, how long ago? NEVER, ever buy a sled that was recently rebuilt, or only 50 miles since rebuild? Why would someone spend the money on a rebuild and then get rid of the sled. Only one answer, they know it is a lemon and want to get rid of it as soon as possible. If i'm looking at a sled, I want a minimum of 200, if not 500 miles, since the rebuild.

smokingcrater said:
superfan75 said:

Burning oil isn't a problem. As far as the rebuild, how long ago? NEVER, ever buy a sled that was recently rebuilt, or only 50 miles since rebuild? Why would someone spend the money on a rebuild and then get rid of the sled. Only one answer, they know it is a lemon and want to get rid of it as soon as possible. If i'm looking at a sled, I want a minimum of 200, if not 500 miles, since the rebuild.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, especially with a price of $2000. It made me a little leery of a rebuild and it getting sold. He didn't say how long ago the rebuild was. I found a RX1 Warrior for $2600 with 7800 miles on it that I might try to look at this weekend. I think for riding 2 up I would like the longer track. I'm getting excited about possibly a 4 stroke, I think it will fit how I ride perfectly. What kind of gas mileage should I expect from a RX1 ? Thank you everyone for your advice.

Phaze said:
I would look for an '05. They got the bugs worked out by then. The '05 has a mono shock rear skid. There's a dial on the tunnel to adjust the ride. I believe it adjusts the rebound on the front shock. Not sure how it compares to the IQ. There's plenty of power. I like mine........

Here's some specs.....
http://www.snowmobile.com/specs/yamaha/ ... etail.html

Plus the 05 mono shock can be upgraded to a fox float. Which it as big plus if you are a heavier rider like me (300 lbs.) Even though the 05's have the upgraded mono shock skid, they are still pretty softly sprung. The Fox float give you infinite adjustability for different riders weights. My 05 with fox mega float rides like a Cadillac!

Back