• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MTX ski width ?

yamahaguy

Ride SAFE
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Yamaha MTX LE with MPI
Maybe you MTX guys can help me with this one.

Is the ski width on the factory Viper MTX different when compared to rest of the vipers for 2015 models (LTX,RTX etc) ?

The MTX's look like they have different skis in some of Yamaha's pictures but they look to be the same width even tho they look different? I'm asking is because my XTX LE should be coming with the MTXs ski and I am hoping its a wider ski?

They come with the same ski as the xtx did last year .. The so called "mountain ski" .....6" wide

I had Polaris Gripper skis on my 2014 M8 last year and really liked them. Tried Powder Pro first but they felt too heavy steering for me.

Was some good info on the 1100 forum on snowest. Seems most like the slydogs 8"

skis.jpg
I ended up with a custom setup, you probably do not want to do but thought I would share.
Camoplast All Terrain skis for Mountain Max, the wide ones. Blow molded and very light, similar in design to poo grippers.. Good for snow not good for rocks...lol Best part was price, 200 bucks on Ebay for pair of skis, mounts, and carbides.

Had to drill out main bushing for larger ski bolt fitment. Put a spacer in as these ski saddles are wider and spaced it to 37 inches. Did the same to girlfriends Viper last year and we both liked them. Your mileage may vary.

Looks good. How wide are those? I dont think any mountain sled ( 2 stroke or 4 stroke ) would do well with a 6" ski.

Does anybody have experience with Simmons gen 3's? Also the Gripper is not much wider, what makes them work so well? Just curious as the skis will likely be one of the first things I change.

I beleive the Grippers are at least 7". I would like to get a used set of 8" Slydogs and try them back to back with the Grippers I have on my Summit.

Don't forget the SLP Mohawk. Great all around ski, floats well, grips well in the pow and doesn't feel too heavy on the trail. I can personally attest to the durability especially with contact on rocks, stumps, trees. After 3500km of Cains Quest Racing and multiple massive impacts with every obstacle out there we went through a couple of sets of A-Arms, bent spindle and eventual complete destruction of the whole front end on one machine. The saddles got warped/twisted up a bit but the skis themselves looked as good as new. Straighten the saddles, new carbides and these skis will see many more years of abuse.

Don't forget the SLP Mohawk. Great all around ski, floats well, grips well in the pow and doesn't feel too heavy on the trail. I can personally attest to the durability especially with contact on rocks, stumps, trees. After 3500km of Cains Quest Racing and multiple massive impacts with every obstacle out there we went through a couple of sets of A-Arms, bent spindle and eventual complete destruction of the whole front end on one machine. The saddles got warped/twisted up a bit but the skis themselves looked as good as new. Straighten the saddles, new carbides and these skis will see many more years of abuse.

Going to be following you guys this year closely, when is Cains Quest?

No race this year. CQ will now be run every second year so there is lots of time for R&D and prep. We are working with our local primary sponsor on the details, but we will likely start with the 153 MTX. Once that decision is finalized, we'll start raising the funds and hitting the aftermarket to start our mods and with any luck we will have much of this winter and next winter to get everything done and test test test. Again, focus will be on reliability. Nothing over the top....just want to build the toughest Vipers we can afford!! Thanks for the interest and support.

I tried the powder pros on the viper mtx last year and it was a much better stup than stock, stock skis are a joke at best. I really liked them as they did a much better job keeping the front end up but also down the trail steering didn't feel to heavy in my opinion. With that said I have ordered a bunch of Mohawk skis up to run, same design with a bit more traction on top of the ski for stepping on them, little bit less keel and they look good. I'll let you know how I like them soon! I just need my sled!!!

I tried the powder pros on the viper mtx last year and it was a much better stup than stock, stock skis are a joke at best. I really liked them as they did a much better job keeping the front end up but also down the trail steering didn't feel to heavy in my opinion. With that said I have ordered a bunch of Mohawk skis up to run, same design with a bit more traction on top of the ski for stepping on them, little bit less keel and they look good. I'll let you know how I like them soon! I just need my sled!!!

Put powder pros on my 2014 M8 last year and took them off after one weekend. Put Polaris Grippers on and was very happy. Powder Pro made the sled very hard to turn at times as they were too aggressive for my liking. Just my opinion though yours may vary.

Back