• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need help understanding TORS !!!

pdrmike

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
12 APEX'S 09 Venture GT
Friend brought me his 09 Nytro that he rolled. It won't start and idle without gas and has the 84(tors) code, and he also messed with the set screw on the bottom of throttle bodies to try to get it to idle better(didn't work). Handlebars appear fine, kill switch is broke off. There is plenty of play in the cable at the throttle bodies, do you want play? Also how can I reset the screw, should it have pressure on the throttle to open the butterflies at all? I know it is a Nytro, but should be same characteristics as an Apex and I think more people talk about it in the Apex forum. Thanks for the help, Mike

Make sure the cable is fully seated in the throttle block. Can't help you on the set screw.....

From my 08 Nytro manual:

Attachments

• Nytro TORS adjust.jpg
    Nytro TORS adjust.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,030
  • Nytro TORS test.jpg
    Nytro TORS test.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,572
To check if the TORS is the problem try bypassing it by disconnecting it and reconnect the wires into themselves that are on the wiring harnes. Do not ride like this because if u do have a stuck throttle your in trouble.

dont think you can disconnect the tors on the newer sleds,my 04 warrior i could but last week we had a 06 venture with a code 84,it would retard timing and sometimes would backfire,let off the throttle for a second or 2 then it was ok,it did that every time he would back off the throttle in corners,we stopped at 2 yam dealers and both told us you couldnt disconect it,if you did it would give a code steady and all other functions like low oil or overheathing would not work

set the cable like in crewcheifs instructions first, the speedo pick-up will also make it do same thing if its broke, the nytro also may have the wire harness rubbed through and grounding out behind the primary clutch where it goes around motor mount, check harness closely if you cant find any other problem,usually green wire shorting out.

Set the cable to specs today, had it idleing fine with all the wiring connected except for the speedo pod plug. If I plug in the speedo pod wiring it dies unless I play with the gas. Any thoughts???? Thanks for the help.

The Tors can be bypassed. Its in the boot where all the cables go from the steering. Ulmer tolled me how to do it but I cant recall. Let me do some digging.

I install a roll pin along side the lever pin that eliminates the play in the elongated slop, thereby keeping switch pressed. works mint, leaves kill button functional and I like the more sold throttle. same method on cats. older polaris I melt the button in depressed mode

i just unhooked mine since it was causing a pain in #*$&@ with my taller riser....takes two minutes to bypass.

its in your manual.

TORS Disconnect
1. Remove top panel
2. Open up the big rubber boot containing multiple connectors
3. Find the black connector and white connector, each have only one wire coming into each end. Disconnect them.
4. Connect the black with the white on the side coming from the engine compartment. Leave the black and white unconnected on the side coming from the throttle.

Dan

KEEP THE TORS CONNECTED!!!!
It is there to prevent the thing from keeping on going in the event that the throttle ices up and either you panic or you fall off (happens). Imagine how many people you can kill with a sled stuck at FULL OPEN without a rider on it!!!!

If you INSIST on disabling this NECESSARY SAFETY FEATURE, you MUST replace it with some other thing, like a TETHER.

Note: In most places, the sled must have certain safety features installed and functional. This includes an engine disable circuit to prevent runaway sleds, and BRAKES. Just because you aren't aware of it being enforced does NOT mean that it is legal or advisable to disable it! TORS is a very simple safety feature to test trail side -- hold pin back, squeeze throttle: engine dies/stumbles = works, sled moves = broken/disabled = ticket.

sgilbert said:
yea, ok, I'll be sure to hook it back up. and I'll be sure to run a safety chain on my saw too

No need to be sarcastic.

I am very serious about this.

Remember that if you disable this safety device, YOU ARE PERSONALLY LIABLE for what happens. Your insurance WILL NOT COVER YOU for damages caused by INTENTIONALLY DISABLING SAFETY DEVICES. Read your insurance policy if you don't believe me. They'll take one look at the thing and notice that the TORS is disabled, stamp the claim DECLINED, cancel your insurance, and put you on a blacklist. And yes, this will affect your AUTO INSURANCE as well.

I rolled mine a few years back and had a tors problem. The cable adjustment on the engine end stripped and the cable needed to be replaced. I thought it was fixed at first but would end up activating the tors on extreme turns.

so wait a minute, TORS is some sort of runaway safety feature? I dont get it, how does the machine know whether you are holding the throttle open, or its stuck?

Seems to me, if the throttle is pinned, off it goes. Does it have some sort of sensor telling the machine if someone is on it (weight?)

On a related note, i got code 84 yesterday.
anyone have any idea?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnXXPLruK5M

I have the manual at home, but havent had time to investigate yet as i woke up late and had to shoot to work, where i am now... working hard.
Here is the deal, i was riding in 2' of powder, about 20 degrees temp, doing about 20-30 mph for 5 or so miles and all the sudden all power is lost, i go over the bars and it goes to that bumpy idle. throttle application does nothing.

I check the oil, coolant and belt, thinking it had some sort of heat sensor possibly. All were ok. exhaust smelled normal. I let it sit for 15 or so minutes as i was checking everything and it fired up, high idle and i was able to ride it. Made it about 40 feet up the trail and then suddenly back to the bumpy idle.
I had about 20 miles to get back to the car so i turned around and headed back, 40 feet at a time.
I found if i put snow around the thermostat housing the code would instantly clear, engine light would go out and i could ride another 40- 80 feet before it would trigger again, motor would cut and would come to a stop.
this continued until i was turning by a tree, the motor cut, sled flattened out and into the treewell i went. Frustrated and pissed off, i packed snow around the thermostat, go on and full throttled it up the hill i was now facing. With no chance of making it i held it open until i was about stalled, turned back down the hill and got back to the road and then everything was fine. Sled ran normally, idle was nice and low and no sign of code 84.

Any ideas?

Back