• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 2017 Yamaha Sleds...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, how would a new Nytro be different from the Viper, except being Japanese.
All Japanese made! The nytro was a very good sled there was just a lot of things you needed to do to make them perform. But if yamaha came out with a new chassis that covered everything the nytro failed at I would buy it for sure

Here's a pic that CR posted yesterday on his blog with some selected Yamaha dealers from North America and Europe who were fortunate enough to get to ride some of the new sleds:
View attachment 116554
They all seem pretty happy. I can ID two of the culprits (one from MN and one from MI). Can anyone else ID anyone from your area?
The guy on the far right is from Central Maine!

They had that. The race front end for nytro was 20-30lbs lighter (viper is 5-10lbs lighter than a nytro). You can pick up bulkhead a-arms and spindles while all attached with 1 hand. Redesign gas tank to make narrower for legs and knees. Install wrp/skins style seat with oft relocated style bars. The now Yamaha authorized to use patent of the triangle tower geometry to hold up bars with the 128" relocate that was part of the race pkg throw on some new plastics with lighter components to drop some weight in the engine and move battery to back of sled laying flat under exhaust and you have a winner. Maybe utilize some cat rear suspension tricks if needed

A little off topic but i have to chime in with some of the comments about doos being junk. Now this is just my opinion and experience but here it goes. I have a 07 apex and brother and brother in law have 07,09 doos. I will give a rough estimate of all ive done to my apex and what they've done to theirs. Apex- there is not enough space to list it all but some of the major ones are exhaust gaskets, pilot skis, complete suspension swap, (cat skid), idlers, way too many hyfax, etc. In almost 10 years list for ski-doos- dooleys every few years. Not one burn down. Not one top end job. Now i know the yami engine and clutches are second to none in performance and reliabilty, but should we be letting yamaha off the hook just because of that. Granted those are the two most important pieces of the machine, but what about the rest. They could have done 5 rebuilds with the money i have in mine, yet it was never needed. Brothers rev had over 7500 miles when sold, and engine runs and looks like new, because he took great care of it. I had a f7 before my apex and hrs spent on trail messing with setup with steering or suspension while they waited was in hours. In all these years for them--Zero. Set them when new and forget about it. Im not saying everyone has the same results as ive seen,but if you take care of your machine and dont go modifying motors left and right the doos are incredible at holding up in the long run. The rear suspension is simple and strong. Cant say the same about mine, as i got sick of welding up arms every year. Now i know some of you will say why dont you just go buy a doo, and my answer to that is i just cant get used to sitting so far forward on the sled. Im sure i could get used to it, but i love how my apex just seems to fit just right. With my cat skid the ride is great and with snowtrackers it turns good. I still love my sled , and yamaha, what this post is about is the absurd notion that ski-doo sleds are junk. Listen, they are number one in market share for a reason. We were there once,hopefully can get back, but i highly doubt it. I know on doo talk all you see are problems, but do you realize how many sleds are out there, and how many have very little problems or are not even on chat lines. The brother just picked up a 16 renegade 1200. He only got 300 or so miles in so far in this crappy winter, but ill tell ya, that is one hell of a sled so far. The best riding sled ive personally been on, and it pulls as hard or harder from 0 to 80 than my apex. Still breaking it in so couldnt do a lake run against it yet but believe it will be pretty close. One big downfall is the electronic throttle though. We both hate the disconected feeling you get on and off the throttle. Overall a well make sled though. Ill sum it up this way , as in NFL terms, Im a Packer fan, and that would be like saying the Broncos suck, But look whos holding the lombardi trophy.

A little off topic but i have to chime in with some of the comments about doos being junk. Now this is just my opinion and experience but here it goes. I have a 07 apex and brother and brother in law have 07,09 doos. I will give a rough estimate of all ive done to my apex and what they've done to theirs. Apex- there is not enough space to list it all but some of the major ones are exhaust gaskets, pilot skis, complete suspension swap, (cat skid), idlers, way too many hyfax, etc. In almost 10 years list for ski-doos- dooleys every few years. Not one burn down. Not one top end job. Now i know the yami engine and clutches are second to none in performance and reliabilty, but should we be letting yamaha off the hook just because of that. Granted those are the two most important pieces of the machine, but what about the rest. They could have done 5 rebuilds with the money i have in mine, yet it was never needed. Brothers rev had over 7500 miles when sold, and engine runs and looks like new, because he took great care of it. I had a f7 before my apex and hrs spent on trail messing with setup with steering or suspension while they waited was in hours. In all these years for them--Zero. Set them when new and forget about it. Im not saying everyone has the same results as ive seen,but if you take care of your machine and dont go modifying motors left and right the doos are incredible at holding up in the long run. The rear suspension is simple and strong. Cant say the same about mine, as i got sick of welding up arms every year. Now i know some of you will say why dont you just go buy a doo, and my answer to that is i just cant get used to sitting so far forward on the sled. Im sure i could get used to it, but i love how my apex just seems to fit just right. With my cat skid the ride is great and with snowtrackers it turns good. I still love my sled , and yamaha, what this post is about is the absurd notion that ski-doo sleds are junk. Listen, they are number one in market share for a reason. We were there once,hopefully can get back, but i highly doubt it. I know on doo talk all you see are problems, but do you realize how many sleds are out there, and how many have very little problems or are not even on chat lines. The brother just picked up a 16 renegade 1200. He only got 300 or so miles in so far in this crappy winter, but ill tell ya, that is one hell of a sled so far. The best riding sled ive personally been on, and it pulls as hard or harder from 0 to 80 than my apex. Still breaking it in so couldnt do a lake run against it yet but believe it will be pretty close. One big downfall is the electronic throttle though. We both hate the disconected feeling you get on and off the throttle. Overall a well make sled though. Ill sum it up this way , as in NFL terms, Im a Packer fan, and that would be like saying the Broncos suck, But look whos holding the lombardi trophy.
I don't think anyone said Doo new sleds "suck". We have brand loyalty and the preference is based on 4 vs 2 stroke for the big part.
Bottom line is all 4 manufactures make good products. Some features are more important to some people. Also to note some very loyal brand riders do and will jump ship should the features that they are looking for be better suited with another brand.

You almost had me until you said that 1200 pulls as hard or harder than your Apex. Having ridden both I would say you are WAY off

Sorry, Ill try that again. Stain i respect and believe your experience was different, but on a hardpack groomed trail that 1200 pulled easily as hard as my apex. As we swaped sleds many times. Now granted my apex was strectched to a 136 with a cobra track and high yamah windshield, so im sure my topend has lowered, but she still pulls hard. Ive been on a raced some 800 doos and the 1200 pulled just as good. Ill be honest after reading so many post how apexes killed the 1200, i was sure i wasnt going to be impressed with the power, but that thing suprprised up both. Ill still take my 4 banger over it but they are surprisingly close. Maybe the 16's are a little stronger, if you did not ride a new one.

I will second this.....My Apex MTX was the most maintenance intensive sled I have ever owned. I was happy and sad all at the same time when it spun a rod bearing.

I do know that our 06 apex stretched to 129 destroys 800 ski doos, more than one more than one occasion.. The 1200 I rode felt like a nose heavy slug. I rode one before buying my 14 viper. I guess they just aren't for me.
I do know that all the suspension issues you speak of are true. I have put thousands of miles on those chassis. Which is why it kills me to hear people say " I wont buy a Yamaha unless it is made in Japan!!!" THE BEST riding Yamaha EVER is the Viper---they need to get over it.

I think putting the 12oo in the newer bodystyle must have really helped with nose heavy feeling you felt, as his new one i didnt get that feeling at all. I will say its the worst steering doo ive been on considering how good the two stroke turned. He has some adjusting to do on that still. But hey now skidoo knows how difficult it is to balance a sled for great turning without making it steer super heavy with their four stroker like yamaha has been trying to figure out for how many years. Granted it steers good, just not as precise as he's used to on revs. So i guess i just rebutted my own post a little bit already about field adjustments. lol

I think putting the 12oo in the newer bodystyle must have really helped with nose heavy feeling you felt, as his new one i didnt get that feeling at all. I will say its the worst steering doo ive been on considering how good the two stroke turned. He has some adjusting to do on that still. But hey now skidoo knows how difficult it is to balance a sled for great turning without making it steer super heavy with their four stroker like yamaha has been trying to figure out for how many years. Granted it steers good, just not as precise as he's used to on revs. So i guess i just rebutted my own post a little bit already about field adjustments. lol
Sorry to burst your bubble but they didn't put the 1200 in the new chassis
Only the 850's

They revamped the body for 16 not 17. So it is in the xs chassis now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back