• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 2017 Yamaha Sleds...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The weight and balance of a mountain sled is absolutely key. The HP put out by today's 2 stroke 800's is already more than most riders are capable of using fully. Only in big climbs and wide open areas will the extra horsepower be a big benefit. Even then, it's probably going to put you in places you shouldn't be. I rode a Nytro MTX for a couple of years and my RMK is light years easier for me to ride. I get stuck way less, use less energy getting unstuck and am able to ride much more which equals way more fun on the limited amount of time I get to spend in the mountains.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, just give some perspective of what some people want out of a mountain sled. I'd like to have a sidewinder to ride at home in the flat lands if it was in the budget.

But you live in SASKATCHEWAN the mountains here are AT LEAST 2 OR 3 INCHES TALLER THAN THE ONES IN NORTH DAKOTA so I fail to see the relevance.

'The magazines are really loving this sled....haven't read a negative review'

Bad review's from a magazine dosent exist enymore, they will not risk loosing advertising income from a company.

The new Sidewinder is the same chassi as the Viper. And with more or less the same weight, everybody that have ridden a Viper knows how this Sidewinder will hadle. The 180hp motor is the only news and even that have been offered before.( mpi 180) So what is new really? The look (plastic) that is even bigger than before. Led lights. Thats a game changer. Right.

But the fit and finnish Yamaha has talked about for years, where is it? The old viper (2002) have alot more fit and finnish in the cockpit. Thats just embarrassing!! Is that so hard to fix? The plastic switches and gauge is way to poor quality. How hard is it to fix that? They are not even trying.

They need to build their own sleds. This AC deal is not working, when the viper was released in a hurry? The fit and finish i could understand. But with the Sidewinder it should have been corrected.

They just dont want that to change. The tru Yamaha quality fealing i think is goone. This is what we get and we have to deal with it. Or jump ship.

PS: BRP is the leading company on fit and finish feal in my oppinion. Way better.

I hope the rev limiter is raised on this engine. Hitting the rev limiter at 9150 with turbo is not so nice for the engine. So i hope the rev limiter is higher now. At least 9500 rpm .

Last edited:
I hope the rev limiter is raced on this engine. Hitting the rev limiter at 9150 with turbo is not so nice for the engine. So i hope the rev limiter is higher now. At least 9500 rpm .

You asked the same questions now 3 times...LOL, I answered it twice already.

So many questions when searching for power. I have been impressed with the mods I made to my Nytro. Hurricane kit. My fuel mileage went from 17 to 15 mpg.
Still beat my friends at the pump, even the AC turbo who is the closest to hang with me in a race.
If I could ride it like I had all day to get there, I'm sure it could do better. Ran into a guy on the trail with a Super charged Nytro getting 10 mpg.
Has there been any discussion on the MPG from the Sidewinder? Would be interesting to know.
Not that it would be a deal breaker. These 4 strokes have been so good in that area.

So many questions when searching for power. I have been impressed with the mods I made to my Nytro. Hurricane kit. My fuel mileage went from 17 to 15 mpg.
Still beat my friends at the pump, even the AC turbo who is the closest to hang with me in a race.
If I could ride it like I had all day to get there, I'm sure it could do better. Ran into a guy on the trail with a Super charged Nytro getting 10 mpg.
Has there been any discussion on the MPG from the Sidewinder? Would be interesting to know.
Not that it would be a deal breaker. These 4 strokes have been so good in that area.

I will do some checking and see if they have any kind of MPG .. at least an average idea.

Bad review's from a magazine dosent exist enymore, they will not risk loosing advertising income from a company.

The new Sidewinder is the same chassi as the Viper. And with more or less the same weight, everybody that have ridden a Viper knows how this Sidewinder will hadle. The 180hp motor is the only news and even that have been offered before.( mpi 180) So what is new really? The look (plastic) that is even bigger than before. Led lights. Thats a game changer. Right.

But the fit and finnish Yamaha has talked about for years, where is it? The old viper (2002) have alot more fit and finnish in the cockpit. Thats just embarrassing!! Is that so hard to fix? The plastic switches and gauge is way to poor quality. How hard is it to fix that? They are not even trying.

They need to build their own sleds. This AC deal is not working, when the viper was released in a hurry? The fit and finish i could understand. But with the Sidewinder it should have been corrected.

They just dont want that to change. The tru Yamaha quality fealing i think is goone. This is what we get and we have to deal with it. Or jump ship.

PS: BRP is the leading company on fit and finish feal in my oppinion. Way better.

Maybe the fit and finish has come up closer or to Yamaha standards, lets wait till October when we start to see production sleds to discuss that.

All this talk of fit and finish kills me. Maybe I have the only good viper but my wife's is perfect! Love the colors and graphics. People have to be kidding themselves that the 2002 viper had better fit and finish as mentioned above then a new viper. LOL! Is that before or after the damn hood popped out of the belly pan and scratched and cracked the clear coat over every bump. And yes the apex engine is awesome but the chassis sucked! That mono skid was a hair better then the pro action when you weren't welding it back together all the time. I keep a stash of w arms hanndy for such events. And the bushings that need replacing every other ride. How quickly we forget. Now the cat chassis is not perfect but it's the best we have ever had and a front runner in the industry. Mr sled has been much more tolerant of the negativity then I would ever be. Thanks Tom! Can't wait to get mine as the 2016 viper is awesome. And the 2017 will be even better. And to all the price guys. When you compare, that's Yamaha's loaded with goodies spring check price. The rest are base models. For fun I loaded up a summet with base price if 13,600 ish. When I was done it was also 17000 dollars. All four are in same ball park for price. Yes Yamaha doesn't have a entry sled yet. But cat fills that void nicely. Enough of my rant. I'm all over the place. LOL! Go yamacat! LOL!

All this talk of fit and finish kills me. Maybe I have the only good viper but my wife's is perfect! Love the colors and graphics. People have to be kidding themselves that the 2002 viper had better fit and finish as mentioned above then a new viper. LOL! Is that before or after the damn hood popped out of the belly pan and scratched and cracked the clear coat over every bump. And yes the apex engine is awesome but the chassis sucked! That mono skid was a hair better then the pro action when you weren't welding it back together all the time. I keep a stash of w arms hanndy for such events. And the bushings that need replacing every other ride. How quickly we forget. Now the cat chassis is not perfect but it's the best we have ever had and a front runner in the industry. Mr sled has been much more tolerant of the negativity then I would ever be. Thanks Tom! Can't wait to get mine as the 2016 viper is awesome. And the 2017 will be even better. And to all the price guys. When you compare, that's Yamaha's loaded with goodies spring check price. The rest are base models. For fun I loaded up a summet with base price if 13,600 ish. When I was done it was also 17000 dollars. All four are in same ball park for price. Yes Yamaha doesn't have a entry sled yet. But cat fills that void nicely. Enough of my rant. I'm all over the place. LOL! Go yamacat! LOL!

I try.. I get tired of it at times, sitting there steaming wondering if this is still what I want to do.. but to many great users like yourself that actually appricaiate the site and thank me .. and thats what keep me going.

Eventually we weed out all the trolls and #*$&@ hats... :)

WRONG!!!!! and if u have to ask "where the fit and finish is"...you haven't done much reading on the new sidewinder......while it's true the base chassis is similar to the Viper...the plastics are different, and attach differently (according to my dealer)...and this engine is very different from the 1050 viper....I am also getting tired of these trolls...I hope you start booting some of these guys MR SLED...I don't go to dootalk and trash the etecs..it's obvious that some these guys have done little reading on the sidewinder, or they'd know the differences between them and the viper. :home::ban::yam:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back