• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Picked up my 4 wheel kit

I dont get what you are saying?

I had to read it like 5 times...but what (I THINK??) he’s trying to say is, the bigger wheels don’t let the track rub on the slides/skid as much..so how can that be a negative.

I had to read it like 5 times...but what (I THINK??) he’s trying to say is, the bigger wheels don’t let the track rub on the slides/skid as much..so how can that be a negative.
I bet that is right. Well I will bite. A wheel forces the track to go around its circumference or part of it. So track goes up then down then up again for every wheel. Just like a wheel on truck stuck in mud. Track does the same as the mud. The slides have less resistance as long as they are lubed good because they are straight. That said I have every spot on skid filled with wheels and couldnt tell a difference speed wise but I am not racing professionally and care more about those mile long Mudruns in spring or running glare ice in winter.

I don’t have the slightest idea is it is accurate, but Larson wrote he had seen uneven wear pocketing on the sliders with larger wheels than oem so they stopped using larger wheels. It would seem to make sense because the weight would be distributed on a smaller section of hyfax so that section would wear faster but does it really matter? Lol this is the stuff that we ponder and argue about so sure why not? I just bought the axle because it was by far the trickest I’ve found. I doubt an extra .2” wheel radius really makes much difference in the end.

I don’t have the slightest idea is it is accurate, but Larson wrote he had seen uneven wear pocketing on the sliders with larger wheels than oem so they stopped using larger wheels. It would seem to make sense because the weight would be distributed on a smaller section of hyfax so that section would wear faster but does it really matter? Lol this is the stuff that we ponder and argue about so sure why not? I just bought the axle because it was by far the trickest I’ve found. I doubt an extra .2” wheel radius really makes much difference in the end.
Always remember our wheels vs a truck are the drivers. Track is nothing more than a mat put down so we don’t get stuck!

I find this funny!! So Arctic cat and every other brand that has built sleds for 50 years built sleds with the hyfax and the rear wheels parallel with each other at the track. Now that out the window and its best to have the rear wheels a 1/4 inch higher than the hyfax. This is my own thoughts on this. The reason the wheels are 1/4 inch higher is because Cat knew the trihub would break at 1000 miles instead at 3000 miles with rear wheels helping with the load. It always goes back to making the machine lighter and cheaper to manufacture.

I find this funny!! So Arctic cat and every other brand that has built sleds for 50 years built sleds with the hyfax and the rear wheels parallel with each other at the track. Now that out the window and its best to have the rear wheels a 1/4 inch higher than the hyfax. This is my own thoughts on this. The reason the wheels are 1/4 inch higher is because Cat knew the trihub would break at 1000 miles instead at 3000 miles with rear wheels helping with the load. It always goes back to making the machine lighter and cheaper to manufacture.
Nobody ever said that.

Not sure I’m following you? I was suggesting that OEM 8” were actually best so that the hyfax and rear wheels are parallel just as you said. The larger 8.4” wheels have been suggested to cause wear pocketing by holding the rear of the track up off the hyfax. But, I figure that the extra 0.2” radius probably doesn’t really matter all that much either way.

Not sure I’m following you? I was suggesting that OEM 8” were actually best so that the hyfax and rear wheels are parallel just as you said. The larger 8.4” wheels have been suggested to cause wear pocketing by holding the rear of the track up off the hyfax. But, I figure that the extra 0.2” radius probably doesn’t really matter all that much either way.
The 8 inch wheels is about a 1/4 higher than the hyfax on the 2012 to current Cat - Yam sleds. So going 8.5 on the 137 inch track and up models put the wheel closer to parallel than stock. Same with the 7.5 wheels for the 129 inch tack models.

The 8 inch wheels is about a 1/4 higher than the hyfax on the 2012 to current Cat - Yam sleds. So going 8.5 on the 137 inch track and up models put the wheel closer to parallel than stock. Same with the 7.5 wheels for the 129 inch tack models.

Interesting... I will look at it really carefully, maybe I need to have the larger wheels after all.

Back