• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Power Steering

ronzx9

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder L-TX-LE, 2016 Grand Touring SE 1200
Looking at a new GT with EPS. Wondering how well it works and if anyone with real world experience could comment.

I ran a thread search and found pretty much nothing on the subject.

Thanks.

Looking at a new GT with EPS. Wondering how well it works and if anyone with real world experience could comment.

I ran a thread search and found pretty much nothing on the subject.

Thanks.

Rode my buddies 22 LTX-GT last week. OMG if there ever was a game changer this is it! The power steering on the Winder works much better than the Apex ever did. I was really impressed with it, made it honesty feel lighter than a 5 or 600! I can't say enough good about it. The whole machine was a dream. It rode so well, steered so easy and went like stink for a stocker! I was seeing 9000 and even 9250 when it was spinning with all stock stuff on it. The first few corners I was oversteering it!

I was riding a clients SE last week and it rode and steered like a buckboard with the stock tuner skis on it in comparison. I wished I'd have had my LE with the snowtrackers and BOP arms with to compare with the GT, my LE steers very easily, but the actual power steering puts it in another league.

Power Steering it going to prolong my riding years with bad tendinitis and bad shoulders that my old Doos gave me!

Last edited:
Last winter I put on about 4500 kms on my '22 S-TX GT EPS. In my opinion it's a game changer.

It's not just the easy steering in the slow twisties, it's the lack of bump steer in rough corners, or even on higher speed sections with some unexpected rough spots.

Not a single time were the bars twisted in my hands.

I couldn't go back :).

I think I posted a thread comparing a few sleds I drove back to back to back.

Search for "some quick observations", my thread should be the first result, and the post is a few down where I drove 4 sleds in a row to compare.

I also say it's a game changer!!! I have about 600 miles on my '23 LTX LE and I can't believe how amazing the power steering makes this sled handle and so easy to drive. We have a lot of tight twisties in Northern Wisconsin, and it just makes it so easy to go through these now with no effort. I love how the amount of force is essentially gone at high speeds to you still have the input needed at those speeds. I still have my 2019 Sidewinder and drove them back to back on the trails last week. I really thought my '19 was set up nice with easy steering. I couldn't wait to jump off my '19 and back on to my '23. I had my brother try it as well. He has a '23 Polaris Assault 850. He too said he can't believe how easy the steering was....makes it feel like a light 2-stroke. I still think Yamaha has the best front-end, and now the Power Steering takes it to another level.

Reactions: SPM
Last winter I put on about 4500 kms on my '22 S-TX GT EPS. In my opinion it's a game changer.

It's not just the easy steering in the slow twisties, it's the lack of bump steer in rough corners, or even on higher speed sections with some unexpected rough spots.

Not a single time were the bars twisted in my hands.

I couldn't go back :).

I think I posted a thread comparing a few sleds I drove back to back to back.
Totally agree....the easy steering itself is amazing, but the lack of bump steer is huge. I did 390KMs of mostly rough trail riding in a day and there is no way I could have done it without THAT power steering.

I agree with everyone else here!
200mi. on 23 Tcat with power steering and it's simply awesome! I had a hard time giving my wife her sled back...

100% gamechanger. Will never ride a non-PS Winder again. 23 SRX.

This winter is my 50th season riding sleds. I always bought the most powerful sled available. I purchased a new Tcat with EPS. So far, only have 174 miles on it. I will say that after riding it then switching to my friends non EPS Tcat, I will never go back to non EPS. Hope Acat and Yamaha are smart enough to keep it in any four stroke sled they build.

My friend got a 22ltx-gt. He upgraded from a 2017ltx-le. All he said was the sled was incredible. Steers and rides unbelievable, Can’t wait to try it if we ever get winter back!

I have 3 winders, one is the 2022 stx gt. All i can say is that if you are in a position to buy a sled with the power steering, you will not regret it one bit.

I love hearing these stories.

Over the years it has always been ironic how folks that spend a pile of money on a "toy" will defend their purchase till they day they die, or the day they replace it with the next best thing.

Winder owners for years badmouthed us Apex EPS owners saying, a well setup sled does not need it. I'm happy to hear what sounds like some very honest opinions that Yamaha hit a home run by adding a possibly better EPS setup into the winder. It truly is one of the main reasons I didn't want to switch away from my Apex. And it's not that I don't know what a ProCross chassis is like. My Viper is setup about as well as it can be minus a turbo. But I still prefer my Apex XTX.

Keep the reports coming guys. I may be shopping for my next used sled. As I Once said I would never pay more than 10K for a sled. But I know I will never pay over $20K for a sled.

Picking up a new 23 Winder LTX GT EPS for my wife this weekend, getting studs installed Friday, she did have a 2015 RS Vector EPS, and we have a 2016 Viper RTX that I was using, I might keep the 2015 for myself till next yr and then get another new Winder with eps.
Looks like Rollerski is only wheelset avail. For these new skis, Rouski doesn't have any available for new skis.
We are both in our 60s so EPS makes life easier

Picking up a new 23 Winder LTX GT EPS for my wife this weekend, getting studs installed Friday, she did have a 2015 RS Vector EPS, and we have a 2016 Viper RTX that I was using, I might keep the 2015 for myself till next yr and then get another new Winder with eps.
Looks like Rollerski is only wheelset avail. For these new skis, Rouski doesn't have any available for new skis.
We are both in our 60s so EPS makes life easier
I am not personally sold on the striker ski yet ( my wife rides the stx), it is possible that you may want to find a different ski that you like that the rouski fits on before ordering a rollerski.

Back