• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Problem after installing clutch kit

Lineman735

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 Viper XTX LE
2010 Nytro XTX
Hi there, hoping you can help me...I just finished installing ulmers clutch kit via the video on here....went well. I go to start it and there is a loud noise which I thought was coming from the primary clutch. I turned it off and rechecked the primary...everything looked good. I start it again and the noise seems to be coming from the engine. After about 5 or so seconds it stalled...and now when I go to start it won't turn over normally...almost sounds as if the starter wouldn't engage properly or was skipping....hard to explain....any idea if I fucked things some how? Maybe by turning the clutch by hand while installing the kit some how threw the timing off??? Im not sure where to go from here?? I sent the same message to Allen, but I thought I ask here also. Thank you

84 is tors, check the throttle it's probably tight with no or very little play and is causing the tors error code. Turn in the mid cable slack adjuster to get a little more play in the flipper. Too much play you turn the adjuster out and tighten up the play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Code 84 is T.O.R.S.
Do you have any free play in your throttle?

Throttle feels fine, that mightve been an older code...it's the tapping from the engine area, after I done the primary and secondary clutch kit, that has me sick to my stomach. She won't start now and when I rotate the primary by hand, she'll turn a rotation or 2 and lock up both ways...starter won't even rotate it. When the starter manages to rotate the engine, it's very brief and does not sound right....jumpy and noisy..I messed things up somehow.

Pull the plugs, you might of fouled a single plug and it's not firing. 84 self clears in 30 seconds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you try pulling the belt off and trying?

Forgot to menrion that I changed the oil and filter earlier this afternoon. I've did it the same as always....added 3 liters or so to the resovoir...idled it for 5 minutes and then topped it off. I had the track suspended and was revving it up slowly to 100-110 kms and hour...I changed the gear oil too and was getting everything warmed up and circulated....I let it sit for awhile after that and then started at the clutch. Don't know where to go from here....Doesn't look or sound good. Possibly of it jumping it's timing somehow?

I never tried it with the belt off but it's pretty slack in there. I can rotate the primary by hand for maybe a rotation or 2 but that's it. ...seems to stop solid

How solid? It will build compression when you turn it. If your certain you did your oil and great lube correctly start at the clutches. Pull the clutches off and try starting it see if it will run.

I didn't pull the primary off...just the front of it like video on here regarding the ulmer clutch kit. It seems like it's locked up pretty solid after the 1 or 2 rotations. I'll pull the plugs tomorrow and see what they look like....it's strange how it happened....started right up after the clutch install but had a very noticeable tapping/ knocking...shut it down and re-started only to have it stall out and hasn't started since...I'll check things out in the morning...I had enough to tonight...I'll go to bed and hopefully it'll fix itself in the morning...haha. thanks for your help so far.

I pulled the plugs and no difference...only getting 3/4 of a turn on the primary...locks up solid both ways. I was rotating the clutch backwards and then trying it on the starter...it would just spin the amount I rotated it back by hand. I did that a few times now it won't move at all, locked solid in place. I tapped the starter while the key was in the run position hoping it may have been the starter locking it...wishful thinking. Looks like my winter is over..

Cam chain auto tensioner is hooped. You can NOT turn these engines backwards/reverse.

Back