• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sno Scoot Trouble

Phazernut

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
04 Viper ER.
96 V-Max 4
I know this is the 4 stroke side but this is where I spend my time and I know some of you have Scoots of your own.

My son was out riding today and the sled stopped moving. The engine would rev up but not move. My first thout was the belt was gone. After taking the side of the motor the belt is intact. When the engine spins up the clutch engages and spins the belt but the track will not move. The track is free to spin as well. When I spin it by hand the inside part of the clutch spins which seems normal. Can't fine anything obvious wrong. Any thoughts before I start taking things apart.

Is there a chain case on it? Busted chain? Is the clutch somehow seperated from the shaft (ie it spins but independent of the shaft it is on?

Hi Craig.
Did the drivers happen to spin / round out? With the cover off, do both clutches engage? If so the culprit could be either the drivers / drive shaft (not sure if there is a keyway / key) / or a stripped gear (check 4-21 in the shop manual)?

Eliminate the easy stuff first (drivers / clutches).

That sucks to hear given that we finally got a bit of snow - hope you find the answer quickly and that its an easy fix!

Mike

The drivers seem fine. When I spin the track by hand the drivers spin as well as the inside of the secondary clutch. When I run up the engine with the cover removed both clutches appear to be fine. I have been lokiong in the manual a bit but not in great detail yet. There is no noise or anything to indicate any stripped gears. I've never had the drivers out of it so what's in there is a bit of a mystery to me. The manual shows some gears but I am not clear as to where they are.

I believe the clutch system is like a moped or small quad.The belt is engaged all the time and the secondary has a centrifugal clutch inside it.Those pads wear out.

cannondale27 said:
I believe the clutch system is like a moped or small quad.The belt is engaged all the time and the secondary has a centrifugal clutch inside it.Those pads wear out.

Thats exactly what it's like. Seems strange for it to go all of a sudden though. It was working perfectly 2 minutes before but I guess anything is possible.

couch said:
From the parts look-up it doesn't look like the pads are a replaceable item alone. Have a look at the following link- item # 5.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamah ... parts.html

Looks like that part is discontinued as well. I hope it's not the issue. Lookes like most of the parts that could cause the trouble are discontinued. Not good

Not sure if some of the other yamaha parts for similar applications can be adapted - Riva scooter / youth quad or maybe even some of the chinese clone GY6 parts. Try a search for GY6 parts (Royal Distributing carries some as well) - there's a guy on the Goulds (by Rona store) that carries some of the chinese quads.

The first link (mbe - canadian) offers a clutch shoe assembly that looks very similar to the yamaha part in the parts lookup.

http://www.mbe-motorsports.com/catalog/
http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/stre ... tches.html

Thanks. If I have to get one I may have to look into it if I can't find the proper one. Never had a chance to do anything with it today. Worked till lunch time then cleared snow.

Found the problem. The spline on the end of the front Axel is stripped out. Just worn out after 23 years of use. Unfortunatly yamaha no longer has them so a local machine shop is doing the repair. Should have him back up an running in a day or so. Wouldn't have been as easy without Larrys nice warm garage.

Not a problem...Glad I could help...Nothing worse than a man's sled down when 25-30cm's falling... even worse if this man is only 8...

Back