• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
I had the flash a few weeks ago but have not ridden yet. Today I went out and compared my gps live to the speedo. Running at 50km/h on the speedo was showing 62 km/h on gps, 80 km/h on speedo was 93 km/h on gps. Before the flash it was within 2 km/h. My buddies odometer read 125 km at the end of the ride, mine read 102 km. So odd.... I sense a new reflash in the near future.

I just had my 2014 flashed. The dealer did it when it went in for my blowed up starter this week. I'd say it wasn't an option, as Yamaha coughed up about $2000 towards the repair for the starter, and I was 2 years out of warranty. Right now, whatever they want to do, if it means they will pay for starter repairs, they can do. They can flash it once a week and make it take 5 attempts to start as long as I don't get stuck with a bill to do the starter.

I only started it twice but yes, it took 2 tries. They did say when I picked it up I have to hold the key on start until it's running. Forgot both times so I don't know if that means it'll start first try or not. I'll let you know!

I just had my 2014 flashed. The dealer did it when it went in for my blowed up starter this week. I'd say it wasn't an option, as Yamaha coughed up about $2000 towards the repair for the starter, and I was 2 years out of warranty. Right now, whatever they want to do, if it means they will pay for starter repairs, they can do. They can flash it once a week and make it take 5 attempts to start as long as I don't get stuck with a bill to do the starter.

I only started it twice but yes, it took 2 tries. They did say when I picked it up I have to hold the key on start until it's running. Forgot both times so I don't know if that means it'll start first try or not. I'll let you know!

Can you describe exactly what happened when starter failed? Big misfire? Your sled often had misfire and difficult to start?

With mine, holding the key doesn't work. I'll hold it, it will fire, stumble and die. It will keep cranking for as long as I hold the key. Let off, try again and it fires the first split second of bumping the key. Let us know what you find on yours!! That's good you didn't have to pay for the starter!

I guess from your perspective I understand why you would feel you must do whatever they say. Sad that you have been put in that position by Yamaha.

Can you describe exactly what happened when starter failed? Big misfire? Your sled often had misfire and difficult to start?

I warmed it up and was going to get my son from daycare, pulled out of the driveway when I saw the neighbours tractor broken down. I shut mine off and helped him get his tractor going, then turned the key and heard the most awful grinding noise. I remembered hearing it a couple days before, but it fired up the next turn of the key. Not this time... Nothing... Just grinding. So I towed it home and took it to the dealer after googling it and reading all this. The first question they asked was when was it reflashed. Answer = never.

I have had backfires before, and have had the hot start issue a couple times. But never ever did I see anything that I perceived to be a kickback. No clues whatsoever there was a problem. Just grinding and fail to start. Maybe the damage was done last year? If it was I never noticed, ran like a dream to me.

I guess from your perspective I understand why you would feel you must do whatever they say. Sad that you have been put in that position by Yamaha.

Well in all fairness I could choose to do whatever I want, and pay the consequences. I'm just choosing to do what they say to keep their support. I don't like it, bug I accept it.

I've driven GM vehicles all my life and have had a couple Battle Royales with them over warranty stuff, and had they been even HALF the company Yamaha has been I'd still be driving them. I can't even fathom a car manufacturer doing more than laughing at you when you bring one of their cars in for warranty work after you've put aftermarket exhaust, suspension, and maybe a turbo on it. My fingers are just crossed that Yamaha is finally the type of company I feel good dealing with.

But I DO get let down often lol...

Well in all fairness I could choose to do whatever I want, and pay the consequences. I'm just choosing to do what they say to keep their support. I don't like it, bug I accept it.

I've driven GM vehicles all my life and have had a couple Battle Royales with them over warranty stuff, and had they been even HALF the company Yamaha has been I'd still be driving them. I can't even fathom a car manufacturer doing more than laughing at you when you bring one of their cars in for warranty work after you've put aftermarket exhaust, suspension, and maybe a turbo on it. My fingers are just crossed that Yamaha is finally the type of company I feel good dealing with.
But I DO get let down often lol...
In the Christmas Spirit and my Glass half full attitude I have almost always had with Yamaha in the past I agree but truthfully I think things at Yamaha have in fact changed for the worse and I am hoping for a Christmas miracle to change my attitude and yes I have been riding!

I warmed it up and was going to get my son from daycare, pulled out of the driveway when I saw the neighbours tractor broken down. I shut mine off and helped him get his tractor going, then turned the key and heard the most awful grinding noise. I remembered hearing it a couple days before, but it fired up the next turn of the key. Not this time... Nothing... Just grinding. So I towed it home and took it to the dealer after googling it and reading all this. The first question they asked was when was it reflashed. Answer = never.

I have had backfires before, and have had the hot start issue a couple times. But never ever did I see anything that I perceived to be a kickback. No clues whatsoever there was a problem. Just grinding and fail to start. Maybe the damage was done last year? If it was I never noticed, ran like a dream to me.
What a kick in nuts just after helping neighbor out! What year is your sled?

It was a 14 correct? This is important since many think the 14 flash did not have a kickback issue.

It was a 14 correct? This is important since many think the 14 flash did not have a kickback issue.

Yes 2014, just hit 3500 kms on it. Bought it with 1800 kms. So 2200 miles? 2014 XTX completely stock, just put an MBRP pipe on and did an oil change before I stored it so I never even heard the pipe until that day. About one km on it from storage when it went.

I made a post in this forum, I'll update it with the receipt for repairs. Took out the stator as well, but they didn't pull the motor.

Yes 2014, just hit 3500 kms on it. Bought it with 1800 kms. So 2200 miles? 2014 XTX completely stock, just put an MBRP pipe on and did an oil change before I stored it so I never even heard the pipe until that day. About one km on it from storage when it went.

I made a post in this forum, I'll update it with the receipt for repairs. Took out the stator as well, but they didn't pull the motor.
Thank you. If it makes you feel better there have been many that did not pull motor to properly repair this and are still running fine today.

I'm not happy with the flash so far. Takes 2 or 3 attempts to start and quite today when I was pulling out of the garage.

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk

Back