• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
Hello everyone. I am officially a Yamaha four stroke guy. am new to four strokes. I bought a 17 viper SR. Took first quick run. (20)km, and she feels sweet. What are the honest opinions from you who run them for over all performance. What is typical engine longevity under mid hard riding all the time. Any issues/concerns you can fill me in on with them. I did and read a lot of pro rider reviews and many from sledders and reviews IMO were excellent.

Went out with my gps and my speedo is way off...105mph speedo is 74.7 mph gps...starting another issue...sometimes once...sometime twice when it's cold...when warm same thing...really all over the place...not happy!

Last edited:
My 16 had no cold start issues and now it takes two attempts to start. More unimpressive is how far out my speedo is. It's about 25% lower on Speedo than my GPS reads. At 94mph on GPS the other day The speedo showed 71

Where
My 16 had no cold start issues and now it takes two attempts to start. More unimpressive is how far out my speedo is. It's about 25% lower on Speedo than my GPS reads. At 94mph on GPS the other day The speedo showed 71

Where did you get yours flashed?

I have told my dealer about the speedo error. They are doing the flash only if asked and informing customers of the possibility of speedo error and 2 start attempts. Also telling them if it's done cannot return to previous flash. When informed of all this not one single person has wanted flash. That tells me Yamaha should be informing or never should have released it till right.

I have told my dealer about the speedo error. They are doing the flash only if asked and informing customers of the possibility of speedo error and 2 start attempts. Also telling them if it's done cannot return to previous flash. When informed of all this not one single person has wanted flash. That tells me Yamaha should be informing or never should have released it till right.

So if a customer declined the flash update and then suffers a catastrophic starter failure, does Yamaha have grounds to deny a warranty claim on the basis that the customer refused the preventative solution? Refusing the flash seems to create bigger problems than it avoids.

Marvelous! My dealer never mentioned a word. Only that the flash was recommended?!
Can not return to previous flash? BS. It's a computer. I can install windows XP on my windows 10 laptop. Just have to erase one and install the other.
Unless all 2015 Yamaha/Cat programs have been purged, there's no reason it can't be put back. Unless Yamaha & Cat told their dealers not to do it?

OK, where do I find a virgin ECU to install a decent aftermarket flash? This is really getting old fast.

Marvelous! My dealer never mentioned a word. Only that the flash was recommended?!
Can not return to previous flash? BS. It's a computer. I can install windows XP on my windows 10 laptop. Just have to erase one and install the other.
Unless all 2015 Yamaha/Cat programs have been purged, there's no reason it can't be put back. Unless Yamaha & Cat told their dealers not to do it?

OK, where do I find a virgin ECU to install a decent aftermarket flash? This is really getting old fast.
They have been purged Frozen. Was same way with 15 flash. Only the newest is available. That's why I have been pushing for a hardcopy to all dealers. If it doesn't work you are XXXXed!!

Actually in one case at my dealer something went wrong and Cat was able to reload the Yamaha ECU. Yamaha was no help. Required calls and favors to higher ups at Cat though. So it is possible just not available to the Techs.

So if a customer declined the flash update and then suffers a catastrophic starter failure, does Yamaha have grounds to deny a warranty claim on the basis that the customer refused the preventative solution? Refusing the flash seems to create bigger problems than it avoids.
Not until its a Recall which it is not. Past practice has only been to do new units and those that asked or complained for all Technical Bulletins which this is. I am not a Lawyer though.
http://ty4stroke.com/attachments/17-flash-pdf.124255/

Not until its a Recall which it is not. I am not a Lawyer though.
I believe you are correct Steve, and although also "not a lawyer" with all the issues and problems with the original flash and across all of the updates it would be difficult for Yamaha to prove that there was not some level of latent damage caused or exacerbated during previous miles. And very difficult to prove that they were caused by anything that was caused or made worse by any action or lack of action caused by not accepting a new draft proven to contain issues with vehicle systems!

Sad its come to this. 4 days of Viper riding starting Friday. Hopefully I come back with a better attitude. Lets all be thankful we are informed by this great site and are fortunate enough to even be able to afford Snowmobiling. I really feel this will all work out and I know other than the poor 16.5 guys with junk rods we all have a basic foundation of a sled that will still be around when solution is finally found. If I owned a 16.5 with bad rods NA I shudder to think what I would do right now.

I see Yamaha is requiring the dealers to do all sleds in for service. That's Bull!

Awsome (sarcasam)
So now if i need to bring my sled in for service i cant escape this reflash fiasco???
Seems like The way this is going Im gonna end up being forced to purchase a spare ecu just to save my evo reflash.
WTF!

Back