• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters

Thanks again. Will do. I'll let you know what I find out. I will probably be taking the sled to him on Monday.

When I tell him about something that I learned on TY he always rolls his eyes and says "don't believe everything you see on the internet". LOL!

I took my sled to the dealer today for the second re-flash of what he assured me was the exact same flash that he installed last time (that screwed up my speedometer and made my sled harder to start). After the re-flash I took it for a rip across the field behind the dealership with a GPS in hand. At 25 mph, 50 mph, & 75 mph the speedometer was spot on!

After the last time he installed this exact same flash (according to him) the speedometer displayed about 25% slower than actual. Now keep in mind that I have no way of verifying if the flash that I received today was indeed the exact same one that he installed in early January (since apparently there seems to be no way to know exactly which version flash is being installed?).

In any case my speedometer error issue is resolved. I will have to wait until after this weekend's sled trip to be able to report if the hard hot & cold starting issue is better, the same, or worse. I'll keep you guys informed.

Last edited:
I took my sled to the dealer today for the second re-flash of what he assured me was the exact same flash that he installed last time (that screwed up my speedometer and made my sled harder to start). After the re-flash I took it for a rip across the field behind the dealership with a GPS in hand. At 25 mph, 50 mph, & 75 mph the speedometer was spot on!

After the last time he installed this exact same flash (according to him) the speedometer displayed about 25% slower than actual. Now keep in mind that I have no way of verifying if the flash that I received today was indeed the exact same one that he installed in early January (since apparently there seems to be no way to know exactly which version flash is being installed?).

In any case my speedometer error issue is resolved. I will have to wait until after this weekend's sled trip to be able to report if the hard hot & cold starting issue is better, the same, or worse. I'll keep you guys informed.

From mu understanding it could not be the same flash because it would not take the same flash the second time. I would say the first time he never had his yds tool undated.

From mu understanding it could not be the same flash because it would not take the same flash the second time. I would say the first time he never had his yds tool undated.

I also had heard that if the first attempt was not completed properly that it will accept the same flash again. However the YSDT manual describes the process in such a way that it seems highly unlikely if not impossible to not finish a flash properly without realizing it.

I am guessing that his tool was indeed updated between my flashes and he either did not know it or did not want to admit that Yamaha had to put out a second 2017 flash to fix an error in the previous one.

I guess that it does not really matter to me now that my speedometer is accurate again. Now I just need to see if my sled will start hot & cold properly this weekend.

Last edited:
So I fired up my sled on the first try today...barely hesitated. -9 out thismornin. I was shocked to say the least.

I have to say I'm not happy with the flash,, I've had it start on 1 attempt, mostly on 2nd attempt, and I've even had it take 3 attempts, and my odometer was about 24 miles short of my buddies axys after a 125mile trip, I know there's a fix for the speedo problem, does it also aid the starting deal? I never had an issue with my original and it's probably in the 29 pages somewhere but is it possible the dealer can re-install my original flash?

I have to say I'm not happy with the flash,, I've had it start on 1 attempt, mostly on 2nd attempt, and I've even had it take 3 attempts, and my odometer was about 24 miles short of my buddies axys after a 125mile trip, I know there's a fix for the speedo problem, does it also aid the starting deal? I never had an issue with my original and it's probably in the 29 pages somewhere but is it possible the dealer can re-install my original flash?
not sure if they can??
Both our 14 viper and zr7000 have had 0 starting issues so we are leaving our with the original ecu programming for now! I will revisit the idea to reflash at the end of the snowmobile season once more feedback is available!

If you have the speedo issue yes get the latest flash. Will it help your starting? Maybe. Cannot go back to original flash.

Took 4 attempts to start this morning...what the hell is going on!

I'm a huge fan of the new flash, previous starting was inconsistent cold or hot, many times it was 2 or 3 attemps to start.

My 2014 had the kickback a month ago, I fixed the starter and related parts and since everything was taken apart, I replaced the positive and negative battery cables with 4 gauge cable and replaced the battery and put on a MRBP trail can.

I got the new flash after I got it back together (had them flash it twice) and just got back from the UP and put on 540 miles. Cold starting took 2 attemps and it around 5 F deg in the morning and once warm or sorta cold it was always 1 attempt and always under 2 seconds of cranking.

Also, previously when sitting still I would feather the throttle and typically it would die, like it choked on itself. That's now gone.

I'm surprised by the wide range of results from the flash, thats a bit baffling. Some people have excellent results and others say it's overall worse.

I do believe the thinking that these sleds hate low voltage, I'm planning on putting in a new battery every 2-3 years.

Can anyone comment on whether their flash fixes the off idle lean popping. Mine does it right around engagement and it's pretty annoying.

Can anyone comment on whether their flash fixes the off idle lean popping. Mine does it right around engagement and it's pretty annoying.

Our sleds never had lean popping but there was definitely an off idle spot where both sleds would loose RPM before gaining RPM and operating properly.

After the flash my wife's sled no longer exhibits this throttle lag and my sled still has a minor lag but you need to look for it and very slowly advance the throttle to see it. Under normal operation it is not readily perceptible.

I was able to put 300 miles on my sled last weekend with the re-flash (the second attempt that took). As I already knew from my test rip in the field behind the dealership, the speedo was back to being spot on. However the cold starting issue was still present. It would pop and sputter obviously firing the spark and I had to crank throughout the starting attempt until it was idling smoothly. I also still have the hot starting issue. Almost always took two attempts, sometimes three when hot. Guys if you haven't figured this out yet, when there is no sign of firing (no popping or sputtering) then the ECU has stopped the spark and you will gain nothing by cranking any longer (except for draining your battery). When this happens you have to stop cranking and try again, and again until it fires.

I am hoping that when I get my Sidewinder these issues will be a thing of the past since the Sidewinder has all Yamaha electronics, unlike the Cat crap that we have on our Vipers. Yamaha should be embarrassed to allow this Cat crap to spoil their reputation as a builder of high quality and trouble free sleds!

Back