• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters

Two questions... 1) Has the flash been updated yet to correct speedometer issues?

2) So far my 2016 MTX 141 has started well, but after leaving it sit for a couple weeks and doing some work on it I attempted to start. Cranked and cranked... got a loud backfire pop, but it cranked through it and didn't stop the starter. It wouldn't fire so I waited 10 seconds and it fired up on the second try. Now I'm going to top off the battery before starting next time, but if it was hard to start and backfired does that mean I'm at risk for the kickback that will take a starter?

I hear a lot of people saying don't get the flash, but if your worried because of some starting issues wouldn't it be smart?

Yes their is another new re reflash to fix the speedo issues. I just had mine done this morning. I'm hoping to test it out tomorrow . I will keep you posted.

Yes their is another new re reflash to fix the speedo issues. I just had mine done this morning. I'm hoping to test it out tomorrow . I will keep you posted.

Thanks! I'm just leery running with the stock flash. The fact that it's brand new and already gave me a backfire scares me I'm going to get the infamous metallic bang that takes starters out. Mine is a late 16 so it has the new starter gear, but I don't want to test it. I also don't want to blow a hole in my muffler with repeated backfires.

I thought he said Dec 21st. He wasn't even aware of the speedo issue until I told him on Tuesday . So he called Yamaha Canada to find out the details . That's when he found out about updated flash. He said a lot of dealers are in the dark on this issue.

I thought he said Dec 21st. He wasn't even aware of the speedo issue until I told him on Tuesday . So he called Yamaha Canada to find out the details . That's when he found out about updated flash. He said a lot of dealers are in the dark on this issue.
My dealer didnt know about the speed problem tell i till them. well check with them and see if they know about the flash for speed.
so how do yours start now? 1 or 2 tries?

Have not fired it up yet. It's on the trailer under cover. Going riding tomorrow . I'll let you know.

My viper worked perfectly last year. They did the update and now its Hard to start when cold or warm, Back fires,losses power and misses when taped. Anyone else having this problem. Just try her today and can't talk to me dealer cause there closed for new years

Well to be honest some of the starting problems I had last night were probably my doing. I've started it a few times, but haven't rode it yet because I'm trying to heal up this collarbone. Anyhow I put on my little 2A Diehard charger/maintainer on it and the charging light is still on 5 hours later. I know my Nytro and my Dad's old Suzuki 4 stroke cat were both hard to start if the battery was down. From what it sounds like the Vipers are even more sensitive to a battery that's down a bit.

I still will probably do the reflash when I take it in for the first service. I'm going to make sure that it's working for the majority first.

Just had the latest flash done to my 2016 with 0 miles on it. Took it out for the first time today. Click started cold or hot. Very happy with it

Back