• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Still having fuel pump problems

Ordering the second fuel pump tonight. Btw, I am having a Yamaha dealer adjust the floats to spec. I am tired of messing with them. When they do it, they will get them right, and I will not have to worry about that. I am changing the oil to, there was more gas mixed with the oil. Has to be both the original fuel pumps, leaking when it sits. I am feeling very bad about how the motor is being treated, with the gas in the oil. Good thing I changed the motor oil at 600-800 miles. I am going to have the floats adjusted by the Yamaha dealer tomorrow.

But when he switches the fuel pumps around it'll do it on the other pump, and not the original pump it was doing it on. So that's where I've come down to asking how could fuel be coming up from the carburetor.
I think they are both shot, LOL!!!! Just called to order another fuel pump, guess what? it is backordered intill april 10!!!! Yes APRIL 10th.

Mmmm, that is odd, not in front of my machine now but isn't the nipple for the vacuum line in the intake manifold? Seems like that would be a lot of fuel to back up into pump.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

I am just going to have to keep doing what i have been doing to get though this year. When i am done using it for the day, unplug the vacuum hose that leads to the old fuel pump. I should not need to be worrying about the new one, as it is new. It is one of those things, i should have bought 2 fuel pumps at the same time, vs one. Oh well. Just trying to get though this year.

Are your fuel pumps original and do you use ethanol free gas in it?

Are your fuel pumps original and do you use ethanol free gas in it?

Yes, i think they are the original ones. My sled has 16,800 miles on it. And i do you ethanol gas in it, i know i know. I am paying for it now, lol. How many miles do the fuel pumps usually last? Just kind of wondering.

Hard to say how long they last, I'm still convinced the ethanol is a big problem with the carbs and the pump diaphragms. I combat it by running Coleman lantern fuel through everything at the end of the year. My small lawn equipment run on it all the time with oil mix as usual, I swear by it, I hate taking carbs apart, especially the small ones, you never really get them cleaned out. By the way Coleman lantern fuel is basically white gas, without all the other junk in it.

Hard to say how long they last, I'm still convinced the ethanol is a big problem with the carbs and the pump diaphragms. I combat it by running Coleman lantern fuel through everything at the end of the year. My small lawn equipment run on it all the time with oil mix as usual, I swear by it, I hate taking carbs apart, especially the small ones, you never really get them cleaned out. By the way Coleman lantern fuel is basically white gas, without all the other junk in it.

I run my carbs dry for the summer, this summer was the first time I had to clean the carbs. There is a place where I live that sells original regular gas, with lead in it for boats with no ethanol. That would also be some good stuff to store in the summer time, add k-100 or some really good brand, and forget about it intill winter time. Well start it every 2 weeks or so in the summer time.

Not sure about lead being in marine gas, but I'll bet there is no ethanol in it, that really raised hell with boats. Have gave up on all the gas additives for storage, still stand by camp fuel 100%. All you have to do is draw up out of the can with your fuel pumps and run a few minutes and your done, no need to start it over the summer. My carbs were cleaned by the guy I bought mine from a couple years ago, doesn't look like a fun job!

This what in my motor oil, looked like grease or some thing of some kind. Is this normal when you guys change you motor oil? Sorry for the crappy pictures.
2017-02-21 17.21.48.jpg
2017-02-21 17.21.59.jpg

The white swirls in it look like moisture to me, how many miles on the oil? I haven't put enough miles on mine to change the oil yet, last time I did it it didn't look that dark, but I did have the white swirls in it.

Get rid of the sled. Life (and the sledding season) ) much too short to be going through sheet like this. :)

The white swirls in it look like moisture to me, how many miles on the oil? I haven't put enough miles on mine to change the oil yet, last time I did it it didn't look that dark, but I did have the white swirls in it.

This oil has about 800-1000 miles on it. I wanted to change it, as I thought there might be gas mixing with the oil, better safe than sorry. I am glad I did change it to. Thanks for the input on that, just was getting paranoid. Thanks for all your guys help. Really do appreciate

Get rid of the sled. Life (and the sledding season) ) much too short to be going through sheet like this. :)
haha, I am right there with you!!! I want to get an 08 Apex this summer, get my vector running some what good and keep it as a backup. And put all the miles on the Apex. Still going to use it in a day or so when the Yamaha dealer adjust the floats to spec. I am just going to have to unhook that one vacuum hose that leads to the old fuel pump. It is going to be a pain, but I still can get some riding in. Hopfully.

I had to replace both of my fuel pumps 2 years ago. I bought them from Barnofparts for $15. They solved my problems. Call Barnofparts and cancel your Yamaha order.

I also purchased an entire carb rack for $200 from BOP for backup parts. It paid off this year when I tore a slide diaphragm.

Last edited:

Back