• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

TD/GAP Big Turbo first impressions

DMCTurbo

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder XTX LE 137
Wish I had done this years ago! I had too much time on my hands with the lack of snow and ice! I found a basically brand new kit and was able to grab it at .50 on the dollar and was able to keep my stock turbo.

I was concerned that there would be alot of turbo lag as I've driven one which had crazy lag. I was pumped after first pulling the trigger to find that it felt no different than my stage 6 stock turbo winder.

I did the install myself and the kit from TD went together very nicely. The toughest part was installing the coolant line from the oil cooler to the turbo. The injectors went in really easy. Having never done injectors before I was a little worried but it's really quite simple.

The additional power was quick to hilight weaknesses in my clutching which I believe I have now corrected.

I'm so looking forward to next winter and trying to get this beast as fast as I can in 1320'.

Heres what i can say so far.... It would take a perfect day with a light weight driver to get over 140 in 1320' on my pump gas stock turbo. The big turbo with me on the bars at 205 lbs naked runs north of 140 in 1320' every pass on pump gas.

I'm limited on how much boost I can run as I don't have a built bottom end (yet).

For this dragy run my datalogs showed 4 seconds to 100% throttle. Basically rolling into it pretty easy while i get it dialled in. Trail track as well.

Screenshot_20240228_192721_Gallery.jpg
20240214_210500.jpg
20240216_182133.jpg
20240214_210556.jpg

Last edited:

Cant wait to see what you post up next year! Your gonna end up warp speed traveling back in time haha

Are you strictly going to only run pump gas? I'm curious what feeding it some significant octane yields.

What does TD run on their tunes for boost on the big turbo ?

What does TD run on their tunes for boost on the big turbo ?
I have 5 tunes. MS17 trail, MS20 trail, both have knock protection. 20, 23 AND 28 PSI race tunes with no knock protection. With the boost timer you can add up to 20 PSI.

Whole different approach than the other tuner. Cool

Recommended rpm ?

Did you have to do head studs on that setup?

I had already done head studs when I went stage 6.
Thanks! I want to do this next season possibly. Head studs are the one part of the setup that causes me a little hesitation.

Back