• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thinking of trying something. What you guys think?

crxtasee

I have a 06 Apex GT, hauck race exhaust and hauck headers, hauck ram air with all 4 slots cut out, hauck fuel accelerator, hauck #5 clutch kit, hauck HP belt, and HP plugs. I do have a air/fuel gauge to monitor also....The sled runs great and is quite fast.
Here is the question.........
First-----I want to make my own ram air with bigger scopes to draw in more air.
Second----Make my own exhaust after the headers, full 2 1/4 pipe with cherry bomb mufflers to release more air.
I had talked to Hauck about this and he told me that on the apex this would actually make the apex slower....I find this hard to believe because motors like more air and bigger exhaust which means more HP.....

Give you a little example: My buddy who owns a RX1 with KN intake kit and 2 1/4 exhaust and heavy jetting, also clutch kit, beats my sled in a race everytime...Which is odd we pretty much have same mods, and my sled out of the box is 10HP more because of fuel injection...It drives me nuts...I need to beat him. He has a big head after beating me...
We are also both picked 144 and ripsaws....
Took my sled to hauck to see if there was a problem with any of the mods. He did change the helix. Thinking this was the problem we raced, and guess what he still beat me.

So was wondering if i did these mods would it gain more HP or was hauck right.
Or was he just telling me that so i would keep his parts....I do want to trust him, Pat Hauck (who i only let work on my sled) is a very well know racer and has years of R&D for yamaha.

Any ideas would be great or if anyone has tried this on a apex....Thanks much....

His stuff is decent but not the best IMO. Sometimes more noise then go from my experience. He stroked my Nytro, clutched it and did the air box etc and I still got beat by a non stroked 1200 doo. Sorry to say but using the (h) word on ty doesn't get much.response from what I have seen.

Yes I hear ya on hauck. The point of the story was does more intake and bigger exhaust create more HP. On the apex or is it a waste of time. Thanks again.

Yes I hear ya on hauck. The point of the story was does more intake and bigger exhaust cream more HP. On the apex or is it a waste of time. Thanks again.

I can see a larger intake since people like ulmer and Schmidt seem to have a larger coverage area on their box intakes then hauks ram air system. But going larger on the rear may not equate to larger HP. Better flow pulling the air through does. Just like on my old truck the mechanic said going to duals over a better single system won't help and if you look at ulmers or some others they actually convert the dual to a more free flowing single on the apex with their kits. Not sure which produces the most. Wonder if dynotech would have dyno HP numbers on their site to show the difference on the other types tried.

No matter how you shake it there isn't much left on the table for exhausts, your not going to gain that much power on ANY exhaust system custom or purchased.

Your problem is clutching. Contact Ulmer Racing tell him exactly what the weights are, RPM's its running ,what springs your running, and he will get the thing to fly.

I agree, on the Apex exhaust gains just aren't as consistent or dramatic as most other sleds. Get all the horsepower you have to the ground efficiently and you will be much better off.

rindtj said:
I agree, on the Apex exhaust gains just aren't as consistent or dramatic as most other sleds. Get all the horsepower you have to the ground efficiently and you will be much better off.

X2 and cut some pounds from the sled and your self. :nos

Are you sure your sled is FAST with that Hauck stuff. Cuz i had all that stuff on mine & got my arse handed to me by stockers. Went back to stock & we were even. Intake & exhaust done incorrectly can & will slow you down. Hauck was 2-stroke Yammi expert. They never got this 4-stroke stuff right yet.

stevewithOCD said:
Are you sure your sled is FAST with that Hauck stuff. Cuz i had all that stuff on mine & got my arse handed to me by stockers. Went back to stock & we were even. Intake & exhaust done incorrectly can & will slow you down. Hauck was 2-stroke Yammi expert. They never got this 4- stuff right yet.
X2 saw this with a buddies sled. Ay the time my stocker felt like it was boosted compared to the hauck sled. Take that stuff off..reclutch and you'll be better off.

Back