• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Throttle Sensitivity

BEEZERWON

Hello All,

I purchased my 2009 LTX Ape last year and have always wanted to ask this question. I checked the FAQ lists and did not see anyone address this issue. The throttle lever on this sled seems to be very jerky and at slow turns I feel like a rookie with the sled lurching jumping on and off the gas. Is this correctable in any way or is the lack of a smooth throttle transistion the nature of this beast?

your throttle should be smooth, from idle position to wide open. with the engine off is it smooth and not catching or rough? if so you may need a new cable. if its smooth then its the clutch thats causing the lurching. stock clutching shoud also be smooth at engagement. check your belt and springs in both clutches, as well as slider buttons in secondary.

I can appreciate what your saying but the throttle lever & cable itself has full travel since I am beating my buddies 1000 Mach Z. :tg:

I came from a polaris 600 xcsp and the thumb level was smooth you could gently squeeze and creep the machine once the clutch engaged.
This thing is like it gets goosed when you squeeze a little. Maybe it's just the way it is but friends who ride it comment about the touchy thumbing.

There is a big difference in throttle response from a carb'd motor to an EFI motor. It just may take some time to get used to your machine. My son had a similar comment when I let him drive my Attak. He was used to my old Viper and the 500 Vmax that he usually rides

I'd first check the clutch a stock clutch is smooth but if its a aftermarket they can be jerky except with Ulmers kit in my experience.

BEEZERWON said:
Hello All,

I purchased my 2009 LTX Ape last year and have always wanted to ask this question. I checked the FAQ lists and did not see anyone address this issue. The throttle lever on this sled seems to be very jerky and at slow turns I feel like a rookie with the sled lurching jumping on and off the gas. Is this correctable in any way or is the lack of a smooth throttle transistion the nature of this beast?

I notice the same thing with my 2011 apex. I think it's a four stroke thing. Hard to hold back all that torque. All the apexes I rode during the demo rides last year had that same jerky feel compared to many years riding two strokes.

titanrcr said:
BEEZERWON said:
Hello All,

I notice the same thing with my 2011 apex. I think it's a four stroke thing. Hard to hold back all that torque. All the apexes I rode during the demo rides last year had that same jerky feel compared to many years riding two strokes.

The 4 strokes have been like this from day 1 (Yamaha's). The stock primary weights have a flat profile which requires lots of mass (weight) to get that heavy sled moving. Its all in the power band, big diff between a 4 and 2 stroke. I will take the heavy 4 stroke. On the trail I rarely need to go over half throttle to keep up with the 2 smokes that are running in there narrow band. Once we hit the lake I get to use the other half throttle. Bye Bye........

I greatly appreciate the info everyone. I will be testing some 2011 /2012's Yami's this week with a friend. Unfortunatly his Mach Z blew up yesterday so it seems he has had enough of the Time BOMBardier's. :yam:

Happy Trails All :4STroke:

you'll find the 2011's are even more sensitive to throttle movement compared to the earlier EFI units.I came from a 01 SRX to the 2011 XTX this year, after a couple of turns you'll learn to stay on the throttle and use little or no brake so that it doesn't send you over the handlebars. now i can rail around corners without even thinking about it and without braking. This thing has great throttle response, just need to adjust the rear suspension some and it will be a great sled instead of just a good riding sled. this thing sure takes the rough trails thou, just hope i can get some of the harshness out it. ;)!

if you think the 09 is jumpy wait till you ride the 12 wow think about touching the throtle and bam she is gone.

Never experienced any of what has been noted.....Sled has always been silky smooth from idle to full throttle. Trying to interpret what is beening described?? "Jerkiness" at low speed can be alot of things but the engine should be smooth! and if it is ya got something going on elsewhere/clutching/driveline.... Thw sled should shift smooth from idle to full shift rpm if all is right.

Back