• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trouble Idling When Cold

You adjust gap by changing shims? You can't just turn a nut onto of the valve and tighten it down? That's how my friend and I did it on his diesel marine generator. Do you have to pull the cam to adjust? Or is that something else, and I'm not connecting the dots here?
I had a Cosworth Vega with bucket tappets and shims in the recess, but Chevy had a 'fork', and you would rotate the cams so the tappet you are working on was pressed down and then the tool would hold it down while you removed the shim and put the correct amount back in.

Yes unfortunately the cams need to come out to change shims, this is new territory for me so it may take some time. I have attached the excel sheet I used to record all of my valve clearances for reference. I still need to update it with the current shims to figure out what new shims are required.

Attachments

• Valve Adjustment Apex 11-27-2017.zip
    12.5 KB · Views: 175
So the shims just wear out over time? Too bad they just weren't adjustable. :(

No the shims don't really wear at all, the valve and seat wear causing the valve to protrude further into the head which reduces the clearance between the cam and bucket.

No the shims don't really wear at all, the valve and seat wear causing the valve to protrude further into the head which reduces the clearance between the cam and bucket.
Yeah, the cosworth shims were pretty hard!

Got the cams out and removed the buckets and shims. Should I measure the shims that were in there or do they not wear? It's going to be tricky to get within spec on some valves since the replacement shims only come in 0.05mm increments.

uc

uc

uc

Got the cams out and removed the buckets and shims. Should I measure the shims that were in there or do they not wear? It's going to be tricky to get within spec on some valves since the replacement shims only come in 0.05mm increments

uc

uc

uc
Got the cams out and removed the buckets and shims. Should I measure the shims that were in there or do they not wear? It's going to be tricky to get within spec on some valves since the replacement shims only come in 0.05mm increments.

uc

uc

uc
Absolutely mic them, especially where they made contact and adjust according to what you measured.

Got my replacement shims last night and got the cams back in. The new measurements look good, just need to wait for my gaskets so I can reassemble. Measurements are in the spreadsheet below. I'm anxious to see how it will run :dunno:

Attachments

• Valve Adjustment Apex 11-27-2017.zip
    15 KB · Views: 119
I'm having a little trouble interpreting your data. What are the no represent in the old shim new shim columns, is that standard or metric or some kind of part no.

The shim measurements are shown in hundredths of a mm, this is the format that is shown on the shim itself, for example a 175 shim will measure 1.75 mm.

Back