• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trouble Idling When Cold

I didn't have a way to measure the center where the valve stem touches (it's only about 4mm dia) but I measured the overall thickness and they seemed to be pretty close to the number on them, really no wear. Based on my clearance measurements after I can confirm that there was basically no wear as I was relying on the shims to be the dimension they said they were and in the end it all worked out.

I will hopefully have the rest of the gaskets early next week so I can finish assembling then see how it runs.

I have adjusted four stroke motorcycle bucket and shim valve trains a few times[CBX Honda 6 cylinder for one] and I have not personally seen any wear on the shims...it was primarily exhaust valves clearances getting too small that needed adjustments.

Great thread as always from musselman !

I should have the gaskets tonight, I noticed that there was a trace of sealant used with the valve cover gasket, should I use any sealant when putting on the new gasket? The manual does not call for any but it came with it from the factory.

I typically don't use any sealant on the rubberized valve cover gaskets on motorcycle four strokes[unless they leak after assembly]. The valve cover gaskets on these four strokes are designed to be reused not unlike our chain case cover gaskets. I would just ensure the gasket has a very light smearing of grease or oil[I put some grease on my fingers and rub the gasket down] this helps prevent the gasket from sticking and stretching if you pull it apart again.

Got the sled back together enough to start it but was too late to fire it up. Going to try it tonight, hope it runs well.

Well it didn't blow up so that's a good thing. I noticed that the idle was a bit higher than it was before and I had to turn it down. So far it idles very stable and does not drop. I will have to wait for colder weather to see if the cold start low idle has been eliminated. I also need to sync the throttle bodies again since the valve adjustment will affect this.

I posted a video below, I don't think the valve train is too loud, my donuts were also leaking so that made it sound worse than it was I think.

Last edited:
Sounds great! Warm idle is bang on did you notice anything with you cold idle?

Thanks guys, when I first started it the idle rose to about 2200 rpm and stayed there. It slowly came down once the temp light went out but seemed to settle around 1800. I had to turn the idle back down almost a full turn to get it back to 1500. This was starting it in a +5°C garage so can't say much about the "cold" start yet.

I will report back when I get some time on it, I would like to see if the fuel mileage changes as well since it was not great before.

Noticed your odometer @ almost 25K! Is that in miles or kilometers

Musselman, did you bother to replace the cam position sensor, or pressure sensor when all apart? I would like to narrow down the easier fixes 1st since my sled is doing the same as yours. I plan on replacing the TPS since it was known to be bad.

Back