• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

* UPDATED *HELP..dealer says ECP kit won't work 03 rx-1

i will talk from my experience, with 170 even at 3000 feet, it cant be that rich too bog badly, except if your needle are at 5 like me this week-end, but its was easy to overcome, just floor it.

Supertuner, correct me if am wrong, but if 170 would be that rich, bogging would appear at WOT.

I ran 3 time with 170, worked fine at lower elevation (with straight pipe exhaust)

LAst year 165 was a little bit too rich at 3000 feets, with stock exhaust, but just slightly. Not that much.

Sure your dealer isnt helping you to find the trouble, he is more putting the problem on ECP.

Well I'm hoping with the new gutted exhaust that the 170's might work..but if not I will have a set of 165's to slap in. They also suggested at the shop to put a tube from the valve cover cap hole to the handlebars to allow it to breathe as well.

I hope this gets fixed up tomorrow...I want to ride on Sunday!!

Well.....spent all day playing arounf getting the new gutted exhaust in and installing a breather tube from the valve cover out.....I tried it again with the 170's and new plugs..and a bit better but still lots of bog...then down to 165's and still bogging. I put the choke on to check if it went lean, and not the case...bogged worse.

I'm getting pretty PO'ed at this set-up.......tomorrow I will try and drop the needles if I can...and after that I give up. Any last ideas? And yes the o-rings are in place..and carbs were sync'ed but I guess with the changes they may be out again.

What i really notice is it won't rev past like 9500 top...and that was WOT on road edge...so I don't know where to go.

Can't see the clutching all of a sudden changing...I haven't really riden this this since the filter change. It was reving fine before the switch...wort of all today I was moving the needles and broke one of the damn slides...there's $100 I could have saved. The needle clips were all at the bottom...being the richest position...so I wanted to try the extreme to test is out, as it's easy to do (when you don't break them)...but no luck now untill I get a new slide.

And to top it all off I see today that my lefty front shock puked all the oil out over night....so there's some more $$.

This sled is becomming a nightmare....time for someone else to play with it I think...PTT you interested? Or Turk?

rpm

after doing some mod,s i had the same problem my sled would not pull over 9000-9500 . the cause was that with the increce in power the moter pulled the center to center to tite. affter an realine was done it all came back. so check the c to c . i was pulling my hair out looking for the cause. and affter being told that these moter could not move and were mounted soild . what a wive,s tail .

Re: rpm

black john said:
after doing some mod,s i had the same problem my sled would not pull over 9000-9500 . the cause was that with the increce in power the moter pulled the center to center to tite. affter an realine was done it all came back. so check the c to c . i was pulling my hair out looking for the cause. and affter being told that these moter could not move and were mounted soild . what a wive,s tail .

I'm not sure I catch what needs to be re-aligned...the whole engine itself? Can't see how that would be affected unless it was out of the machine before...which to my knowledge hasn't.

Jim already posted that he didn't have a lot of experience with these set up's so I may need another source. The needle drop might have helped but I won't know that until new parts come in.

Re: rpm

manitoba rx1 said:
black john said:

I'm not sure I catch what needs to be re-aligned...the whole engine itself? Can't see how that would be affected unless it was out of the machine before...which to my knowledge hasn't.

Jim already posted that he didn't have a lot of experience with these set up's so I may need another source. The needle drop might have helped but I won't know that until new parts come in.

Here is the deal. You improve 17 to 22 HP through the midrange. This will cause the clutch alignment to go off. What we used to do with our dragsleds was purposely set the center to cnter a little too far forward. Then when the belt grabbed and would pull the engine back, it would end up aligning the primary and secondary perfectly. This works. It would be easier to do with some spherical rods ends though.

alinement

just check the alinement . it can move with the adding of more power . this is a must do and it,s simple . this i know because i was told on here that these moter can not move and i have found this to be not true even some with apex,s have found there,s were out as well. THESE MOTER,S MOVE with out haveing the moter,s out of the sled .

The motor can move, A LOT. It can go way out of alignment thus the Center to Center goes way off too. A SledPro alignment tool and the Yamaha special tool for adjusting the 2 front motor mounts come in handy.

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure you changed the mains, and not the power-jets? My friend came up to help me install the kit, as he already had the experience. He mistakingly switched out the power-jets I believe. It would bog 1/2 throttle and barely get past 9000.

Just a thought, BTDT.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... hlight=ecp

I got the parts in and moved the last needle, and things seemed really responsive and no bog on the little tour I took yesterday. I do have the clips in the leanest position...so I may try and go back from here now and see where the happy medium is.

I do think I lost top end tho...but today will be the true test.

And no...I know where the jets live, I've worked on enough sleds before. Thanks for all the help guys..just fine tuning I think now!

4Fighter said:
Are you ABSOLUTELY sure you changed the mains, and not the power-jets? My friend came up to help me install the kit, as he already had the experience. He mistakingly switched out the power-jets I believe. It would bog 1/2 throttle and barely get past 9000.

Just a thought, BTDT.

RX1's do not have power jets. I have had customers mistakenely change the intermediate jets in place of the main jet though.

SUPERTUNER said:
4Fighter said:

Just a thought, BTDT.

RX1's do not have power jets. I have had customers mistakenely change the intermediate jets in place of the main jet though.

Fair enough - I didn't know what they are called - but they don't work well with 165's in them. At least I can take comfort in knowing that I wasn't the one who took them for mains by mistake though.

:rocks:

Back