• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper glider build

That puts the calculation for a 17 tooth pickup gear even closer to the target number of 1.47 for the Nytro calibration. That's if the Nytro circumference is correct.
I measured with a metal Ziptie and transfered that to a tapemeasure and caliper for the .818 should be pretty accurate since a cloth tape measure distorts when going around the driver. Driver is on bench and not in sled.

That should be close enough. I don't think we'll get his speedometer reading exact with a gear change but it would be nice to get it close. Now I need someone to do the same on a Nytro driver just to verify the measurement before I take the time to machine a gear.

In your testing of this Nitro/ Viper hybrid , were you able to decide whether the Nitro exhaust system was better than the Viper system. I believe this was a consideration early on in this wonderful article.

I'll take the Viper system over the Nytro exhaust even knowing that the Viper's might be a little more restricting than that of the Nytro's. Eliminating the donuts and flex pipes are a plus but the biggest reason is that the rear exiting exhaust on the Yamaha chassis develops a lot of ice in the tunnel and the Arctic chassis does not.

From what I know so far the Nytro system seems to have not lost any engine performance when installed into the Cat chassis with the stock exhaust and air box. Yamakazi has stated he doesn't feel as if there was a decrease in horse power or torque going from the Nytro to the hybrid Viper. As soon as I get a chance to confirm his findings I'll report back.

Grizz, you did such a great job on developing the gusset kit and selling it for the Nytro's, when are going to put together a Nytro ECU conversion kit/wiring for the Vipers?
Thanks for all you guys do and report out on, it REALLY helps those of us trying to make decisions on what to do with our sleds to get them to perform and handle the way we desire. Without guys like you and Yamakazi willing to experiment the way you do we would all be way behind where we are today!

I'm gonna say it would be more than a plug n play harnesses for a Nytro ECU install. The Viper handlebar controls and gauge cluster need the Cat ECU to operate. The Nytro won't support the electronic reverse and the speedometer pickup. We used all Nytro electrical components to make this thing work. None of this could be done without the expertise of Grizztracks. As previously stated in this thread he engineered his own custom circuit, independent from the ECU, to make the reverse work. It is pure genius, it even has a safety switch so the reverse cannot be engaged unintentionally.
Grizz deserves most of the credit on this creation. I provided the machines and helped with engine switch. Besides a helping hand here and there all the electrical was his handiwork. We thank you!

Dan

I'm gonna say it would be more than a plug n play harnesses for a Nytro ECU install. The Viper handlebar controls and gauge cluster need the Cat ECU to operate. The Nytro won't support the electronic reverse and the speedometer pickup. We used all Nytro electrical components to make this thing work. None of this could be done without the expertise of Grizztracks. As previously stated in this thread he engineered his own custom circuit, independent from the ECU, to make the reverse work. It is pure genius, it even has a safety switch so the reverse cannot be engaged unintentionally.
Grizz deserves most of the credit on this creation. I provided the machines and helped with engine switch. Besides a helping hand here and there all the electrical was his handiwork. We thank you!

Dan
I think what we need is a Sidewinder ECU and harness to it. Sure looks like the bugs are worked out of that other than frozen relays.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Sidewinder electronics move into the Viper someday.

Putting together a conversion kit would be difficult without a donor sled but I suppose it could be done between my full time engineering job, my part time job at a local diesel repair/fabrication shop and the work I do out of my personal garage. This stuff is a hobby and I'm not interested in tuning a hobby that I enjoy into work but I'll gladly help out anyone that's willing to or wants to attempt this.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Sidewinder electronics move into the Viper someday.

Putting together a conversion kit would be difficult without a donor sled but I suppose it could be done between my full time engineering job, my part time job at a local diesel repair/fabrication shop and the work I do out of my personal garage. This stuff is a hobby and I'm not interested in tuning a hobby that I enjoy into work but I'll gladly help out anyone that's willing to or wants to attempt this.
Thing is it would require help from someone who could program the Winder ECU. Hurricane,TD,Evo etc. Yamaha is really the only one that could do the entire code. All these guys are mostly just modding the code and mapping.

Speedometer correction update:

I fabricated a new 17 tooth pickup gear to replace the Nytro's 15 tooth gear and tested it on my Nytro. At around 5050-5070 rpm the stock Nytro pickup gear displayed 47 mph on the gauge and with the 17 tooth gear installed at approximately the same rpm's it read 54 mph. This translates to a 7 mph gain with the new 17 tooth gear and once installed in the hybrid Viper should be close to it's actual speed. Once we get the Viper back on the snow this season we'll get a better idea how close we got it.

gear1.JPG
gear2.JPG

Last edited:
This has been one of the most interesting threads I've read on this site boys! Very innovative and ambitious. I love this chassis, but miss the pull of my old Nytro. Just need to get this thing to wheelie!

Back