• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Whats with all the stuck starters lately.

Sled Dog

Lifetime Member
Noticed all the stuck starter threads popping up lately. Which models is this happening too or is it across the board?

I am curious to find out. Lately when I shut my sled off, it sounds like my starter is turning off at the same time. Does this mean it is running the whole time my sled is? It doesn't seem to do it every time though. This is on my Attak :o|

A friend of mine just had his starter on his 08 Nytro RTX take a puke about 2 weeks ago. I don't know if the root cause was a sticky key switch or the starter solenoid. He had Y.E.S. and a new starter and starter solenoid has been covered by Yamaha.

Rockmeister can shed some light on this topic. I know he does the Starter Saver which just gives you warning light should your starter ever stick. I left him a message earlier and he should see this thread later tonite. ;)!

stsrter

yes the starter stuck but i didn't know and when you shut your sled off mine
would not start, i have rock's starter device but all that does is tell you that starter is stuck on which is nice you get your tail home, i ride alone 90%of the time.

Happens quite a bit on 07 Phazers because they didn't Loc-Tite the bolts that hold the whole thing together, causing it to rotate out of phase. Easy fix.

The start is always engaged, the problem lies in the system that applies power to the starter when you turn the key, even after you let the key return to the run position it still is applying power to the starter, this for a short time is no worry at idle, but at 10000 rpm with the power still being applied to the starter it destroyes itself.

To answer the first few questions.

Have seen this on almost every model
It is almost always a key switch or starter solenoid problem.
(All our sleds have these parts in them.)
Even though the starter fails, the starter itself is NOT the problem, it is a symptom of the problem.
(The bolts coming loose on some of the starters & the starter loosing indexing, is a totally separate issue/problem not related to this one.)

When you think about it, every current Yamaha sled has a starter, so simply put, they will have more starter related issues of some type, just because there are a BUNCH of them out there.
(It's simple math, and has nothing to do with a quality issue of any kind.)

If your starter sticks on, your sled and starter doesn't care what RPMs you are at, it only cares how long it is stuck on.

The reason is this:
The starter clutch design on the Yamahas is so good, that it makes almost NO noise when the starter is stuck on AND your sled is running.
(And is rarely even harmful to the starter clutch, it works that well.)
Unfortunately, this also means you have no warning that you starter is stuck on until major damage has happened to your sled & it dies.

It goes like this:
1)Starter sticks on. (You have no idea)
You go riding. In the meantime your starter is drawing serious current and getting hotter & hotter.
It is NOT meant to run at 100% duty cycle (no starter is) & this will eventually kill it.
2)Your sleds stator is being overloaded.
(Sometimes it takes out the stator immediately, sometimes it takes a
while for the damage to appear, either way, it is doing damage.)
3)Your battery is being drained as you ride.
4)You only find out something is wrong when your sled dies, because either the fuel injection system, or the ignition system, does not have enough power to operate.
5)You try cranking your sled to re-start & most times you only hear a squeal.
(The squeal is from SERIOUS current being drawn through your now shorted/fried starter.)

The key to all this is, we need a Warning that a simple key switch failure and/or solenoid failure will not cause a very expensive starter/stator failure.
(Every key switch & solenoid on the planet will eventually fail, including our sled ones.)

I have the Starter Savers available that provides the exact warning we need.
The Starter Saver flashes a Very Bright RED LED if your starter should stick on for any reason.

That way, you DO have a warning and know something is wrong BEFORE it does serious expensive damage to your sled.

Have 25 available that I will send out for the cost of shipping only. ($5 US)
This will give you guys an idea what they do, how to install, etc.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Hope this helps!

Rock :-o

EDIT:
The free ones went fast! :Rockon:

Read to the end of the thread to see how to get one.
Am running a 2 for 1 special right now.

Cool so you have a light that completes a circuit to ground off the solenoid when engaged or off the key switch? I will take three of them. What is your paypal addy and are they easy to install?

The Starter Saver detects that there is power to the starter & indicates that there is.
Of course it should ONLY be lit when starting your engine, never when your engine is running.

You can go to the ORDER page of my site: www.yamaheater.com

Go to OPTIONS Pull-Down List, find Starter Saver, click on it.
Click on the BUY NOW button just below list, then check-out.

Will get you taken care of!

Rock :-o

Last edited:

Back