• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

you can run 8jp or 8dn belts change in seconds with no shim change!

"Simple question, can I carry my belt from my Apex as a spare to get me home? It's a 8DN. Just take the broke 8JP off put on the 8DN and get home."

Yes, you can. ;)! That's exactly what I plan to do.

Last edited:

14691964_1399027856792586_5362394933901586463_o.jpg

"Simple question, can I carry my belt from my Apex as a spare to get me home? It's a 8DN. Just take the broke 8JP off put on the 8DN and get home."

So I don't need this belt adjuster with float in the next post?

Why doesn't belt ride to the top even with adjuster backed all the way out?

Reactions: krm
Why doesn't belt ride to the top even with adjuster backed all the way out?
because the belt is short .run it .put some miles on then i'm thinking the driven might need more spring pressure .simple fix .

So I don't need this belt adjuster with float in the next post?
Not if you are in the scenario that you described above. If you were planning on running the 8dn permanently, then you would either need that or to shim it with a washer.

Not if you are in the scenario that you described above. If you were planning on running the 8dn permanently, then you would either need that or to shim it with a washer.

Thanks, that's what I'm going to do. Just a get me home belt.

me too....no half assed half way back for me...plus different belts and worn belts all easily adjusted....not to mention the float...

I'm not getting a pissing match here as this topic has been brought up more times than how many emails Hitlary erased....

Yes, I have proven it time and time again at the track switching between 8DN and 8JP belts (and both Gates 4340 and 4313 belts) and have gained mph. I am also machined for overdrive and when my clutch mark shows only 1/16" at the top of my primary.....and regular speeds of 112mph and already saw 115mph on asphalt and with a couple runs on perfect trail at 112mph with an N/A Viper....you show me another Viper running those speeds without a turbo or Nitrous with a 250 lbs. rider.

What? Your kidding right? How can a longer belt give more mph, I have used the 8dn but it has its limitations for top speed but for trail riding it was fine. That's why I use the gates carbon fiber it give more of everything.

Nope, not joking or kidding

going out the drive can't be faster if it's not all the way in the driven .run a belt 2" longer than stk ,see how fast it is ,run one 3/8" short then see how fast the sled is .i might be new on here ,but have been in this business 40 yrs and been building race sleds for that long also with 4 wc at eagle river with our vintage chapps .and many wins with my v max 4s in the 90s and now ps records .i have both belts and will see what gives .alot of good info on here .

Stumbled onto this and to everyone it probably sounds stupid as hell... but if you have a clutch setup and think of a belt running and shifting......now take that same clutch setup and throw a little longer belt on that will ride at the top of the primary more with the same end location in the secondary....results are if you run the same rpm, the primary will have the belt riding more of the top (I'm at 1/16") where everyone else I see their belt won't even clean up a 3/8" or 1/4" inch mark and results are more top end. This is just the opposite of the guys putting on bearcat clutches on their V-max 4 sleds to keep the same gearing in the chaincase but make it start out like in low gear because of where the belt is in the secondary clutch. This is no different than what's happening now guys. Vmax 4, engine moved back because I ran a bearcat secondary and stock 8BU belt. You don't think this is the same issue? It is, just reversed....

not challenging you nos-pro...but if you were machined for overdrive...to me that changes things....if you shared the same experience without the machining it would mean more to us stock sheaved guys...

also....the 8dn isnt beyond reproach here...it is very hard and will groove your clutches....and your rpms will be higher...if say you are running an aftermarket muffler and no tune...you could (no one knows til we run them ) bounce off the rev limiter..

whats the consensus on the gates carbon or the ultimax's ...Ive ran the ulitmax and liked it on my doo

I'm not getting a pissing match here as this topic has been brought up more times than how many emails Hitlary erased....

Yes, I have proven it time and time again at the track switching between 8DN and 8JP belts (and both Gates 4340 and 4313 belts) and have gained mph. I am also machined for overdrive and when my clutch mark shows only 1/16" at the top of my primary.....and regular speeds of 112mph and already saw 115mph on asphalt and with a couple runs on perfect trail at 112mph with an N/A Viper....you show me another Viper running those speeds without a turbo or Nitrous with a 250 lbs. rider.

Nope, not joking or kidding

Stumbled onto this and to everyone it probably sounds stupid as hell... but if you have a clutch setup and think of a belt running and shifting......now take that same clutch setup and throw a little longer belt on that will ride at the top of the primary more with the same end location in the secondary....results are if you run the same rpm, the primary will have the belt riding more of the top (I'm at 1/16") where everyone else I see their belt won't even clean up a 3/8" or 1/4" inch mark and results are more top end. This is just the opposite of the guys putting on bearcat clutches on their V-max 4 sleds to keep the same gearing in the chaincase but make it start out like in low gear because of where the belt is in the secondary clutch. This is no different than what's happening now guys. Vmax 4, engine moved back because I ran a bearcat secondary and stock 8BU belt. You don't think this is the same issue? It is, just reversed....

No offence but Your reply doesn't make any sense, if your belt is coming 1/16 from the top it will help the overdrive with the 8dn BUT you will still have more overdrive with the shorter belt PERIOD. I have been running asphalt for over 22 years and I always gear for maximum overdrive and never had a longer belt go more mph than a shorter belt but if you go to short it will snap the belt every time at full shift out. Again these are racing scenarios not trail riding as we are usually over geared for snow conditions and you will never see top speed on snow unless you have massive power. It's a personal choice and I have ran them all just pick one and clutch to it and you will be happy.

hey dude^ ^ Im glad to be back in the blue camp with yam clutches..whats your belt of choice..gates carbon? whats equal to 8jp..

hey dude^ ^ Im glad to be back in the blue camp with yam clutches..whats your belt of choice..gates carbon? whats equal to 8jp..

Gates carbon belt for 8jp is
40C4313 I think I'm going to try the 8Jp to start this year to see how they work in the new clutches.

Back