• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

17 Viper, Unresolved problem this year !!

Bloomer

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 SR Viper
First issue with 17 Viper this season, thought I’d throw it out there for any ideas. Sled has 6000 km on it, purchased new out of crate. Have always done my own basic maintenance, motor oil, chain case, sliders, carbides etc. Sled has been extremely consistent starting from day 1. First key turn allow to roll over 3 - 4 times never fire. 2nd key turn instantly running. Top speeds typical 150 - 160 km /hr .

This season took to a dealer for preventative maintenance. Did drive bearing, a few idler wheels, clutch was cleaned and aligned. Dealer put in 20 amp fuel pump relay and did the latest ecu flash.

Since then sled has completely changed for the worse. Extremely erratic starting issues and loss of top end speed. Most days sled now needs to roll the motor over 15 - 20 times before firing ( 3 - 5 ) key turns. Some days it fires perfect. Some days your trip gets cut short because it won’t start at all.

Top speeds have reduced to 130 - 140 km/ph. Still get 8850 rpm on the bar and pulls hard as usual up to 130 then creeps.

Dealer continues to focus on type of fuel, age of fuel, starting procedure, plugs etc.

On my own Ive installed freeze proof 20 amp relays ( fuel pump and ISC ), fresh CR9E’s and made sure vent line off fuel tank is clear.

This past weekend, first day of trip sled started on 5th key turn to start the day. We rode 100 km to our fuel stop, turned off to fill up….. paid…. sled would not fire. 15 + key turns before running.

Rest of day, fires fine. Hard pack frozen groomed trails ( Pembroke, Ontario ) max speed 135 Km.On the trailer overnight, - 15 C, next morning would not fire at all. 20 + key turns and nothing. Gave up and went home a day early.

As a whole I’m down 20 - 25 km/hr even though am hitting 8850 rpm and starting issues had made the sled unusable.

Called multiple dealers and they go back thru the same generic questions, type of fuel, bad fuel, spark plugs etc….

Any ideas or suggestions please chime in

Thanks lads

check coolant temp reading
that is what enrichens mixture for cold starting and may be off scale which could affect fueling on top end

i put a coolant heater on a apex one time and it wouldnt start with it plugged in
just wouldnt enrichen for cold start
magnetic heater on bottom did work for outside cold starts

check coolant temp reading
that is what enrichens mixture for cold starting and may be off scale which could affect fueling on top end

i put a coolant heater on a apex one time and it wouldnt start with it plugged in
just wouldnt enrichen for cold start
magnetic heater on bottom did work for outside cold starts
Hey Blown Apex, thanks for that.. Ya I really didn’t want the damn thing flashed but they claimed it’d help cold weather starts. My only gripe with the Viper before this mess were cold starts on trips up north, - 30 nights etc I always load my sled on enclosed and keep an electric heater on it overnight or it’s gonna be froze up.

Coolant temp readings seem to work as per normal, pretty good reflection on outside temps. - 20 last night and coolant temp showed - 17… Once idling coolant comes up to 90 then fan kicks on as per normal.

My starting issues can be cold start or warm. Sometimes mid ride while fueling up it does not want to fire at all with a just running motor. Perhaps an ecu swap could be a good place to start with this. Thanks for chiming in

Last edited:
You should also verify the timing marks behind the stub shaft.

You should also verify the timing marks behind the stub shaft.
Thanks 74Nitro, I’ll take all the ideas I can get at this point!!! If timing was off, I’d think it’d run over all rough once running though ? Mines a bugger to start but once fired runs and idles normal with the exception of lost top end speed.

Back