• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

A little help planning a UP trip first week of Feb?

Sledtime9

Veteran
Some friends and I are planning a UP trip. I could use a little help and a few suggestions to iron out the details! Thanks

1) Planning to leave on a wed afternoon from Boulder junction and head to Marquette,MI. Stay for the night
Anyone recommend a good place to stay (with a bar or close preferred)

2)Next morning, leaving for Sault Ste. Marie. Probably eat dinner and head back west. John Dee's doesn't have much information for this area. May stay in St Ignace or ??

I thought maybe run the lower coast back, but also thought about Munising?

Anyone who has made a loop out there care to give me a few highlights? Good bars, restaurants, places to stay?

Will be a group of 4. We ride reasonably hard. Not afraid to put some miles on in a day!
;)!

I would stay Newberry and West from there, the snow is not so hot east of there, Newberry, Paradise, Grand Marias, Munising and west all have good spots to eat/drink. Grab a good trail map and youll be set.
Not much snow up there right now, i would plan at least 2-3 weeks out, give time to build some snow.

We usually ride out of munising, Can head either east or west and have good snow, We are mostly off trail riders though.

Sledtime9 said:
1) Planning to leave on a wed afternoon from Boulder junction and head to Marquette,MI. Stay for the night
Anyone recommend a good place to stay (with a bar or close preferred)

You might want to consider staying in Ishpeming instead........only 12 west of Marquette.........Marquette itself tends to not be real "sled friendly"..... there's a place in Ishpeming called Jasper Ridge........hotel with brew pub right across parking lot..........seemed like a nice place (but I was only in restaurant)........some of the guys from here that did a cross-U.P. trip stayed there last season........maybe one of them will chime in.....

We might go from Boulder Junction to Munising the first day.

Anyone have any idea how long that trip is?

Mapquest says around 4 hrs by car.

Depending upon the conditions of the trails it's usually about 1 1/2 hrs. extra by sled from Marquette to Munising. Trail 8, the main east/west trail through the northern U.P. can get pretty beat up late in the day so you might want to allow extra time. If you're planning around a weekend, you might want reservations before just showing up...........

The TY give-a-way ride is that weekend also, so if you can make it to Munising , you could book a room at the Comfort inn and meet a lot of TY members.

Back