• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Backfire

attakmod

Expert
My bud hase a 07 apex, he said after a long ride he stoped to cross a road when he hit the throttle she made a backfire and shot out flames. Is there a problem with his sled?

When you say long ride, you mean wide open throttle...then let off the throttle to stop...mine will on occasion do it...I was told I was to RICH at WOT.

If I run a long straight at WOT or close to it, When I get to the other end I sometimes get a backfire, esp if I let off fast and/or punch it again. That motor is producing some major heat at those high RPM for extended periods. I think its fairly normal for it to have a little backfire after a long hard pull..

Mine does the same thing. Its not a loud backfire but kinda muted.. Only after I'm into the throttle for a bit...

Mine only does it at the end of long hard high RPM pulls. Im talking 1-2 + miles at WOT.. My sled has done it since it had 300 miles on it.. Only occasionally, maybe 4 times in 1000 miles... but I run lakes and straight trails alot. I run out of throttle before I run out of room alot.....

ZR800EFI said:
You guys may want to check your donuts and y-pipes...if it's starting to do it often.

I've got brand new donuts and exhaust and still having some backfires after long hauls...

apltx08 said:
ZR800EFI said:
You guys may want to check your donuts and y-pipes...if it's starting to do it often.

I've got brand new donuts and exhaust and still having some backfires after long hauls...

Cool. I only tended to have the backfiring as my exhaust started to get bad a couple years ago. Don't think I have since and I often run out of throttle too...

It's normal. My Attak has done it since day #1 on the long WOT runs. Sometimes it'll do it a second after I let off and sometimes when I get back into the throttle.

Mine has done that even when it had 1000 miles on it. Occasionally it will backfire when I'm coasting to a stop after a long WOT haul. Sometimes I will open the throttle just a little while coasting and it won't backfire. 2400 miles on now and it's still the same with no change. I'm sure it's a normal thing. When it doesn it on a more regular basis during normal riding I will take it more serious.

I talked to him today and its getting worse, his apex has 4000km. I think its time to change the donuts.

attakmod said:
I talked to him today and its getting worse, his apex has 4000km. I think its time to change the donuts.

If its something that he is noticing alot, Like everytime he rides then it may be time for donuts. Look over Y pipes for cracks too..

I gess Iam the one doing this job, it will be a good experince for when I have to change mine. I hope its just the donuts, we had enough trubble last year with our ski-doos.

Back