• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bender Turbo in the mountains

Spray25: yes it is a typo-sorry..
I meant 140 Main jets. The O2 sensor and guage supplied with the Bender Kit is what I'm using as a gude- It seems accurate. I don't know why it demands more fuel than yours and the others....

I'm running 137.5's at 1800ft.

Listen to spray about the fuel quality for higher boost. I'm running 6lb. at my elevation just trail riding, wow what a blast this thing is. 8)

HYERUP said:
As for Fuel, I'm running staight 111 Phillips, sometimes 114.

That explains why you are so lean. Race fuel runs leaner than pump gas. You are spending uneccessary money on fuel. 50/50 would be plenty.

Mountain Perf is adamant that at 12 Lbs boost (250 Hp) and up I SHOULD use straight Race fuel. It is cheap insurance in my mind...what octane fuel are you mixing with premium?
Up here we get 91 octane premium for $0.90 per litre ($4.08 per Canadian gallon). The Phillips 111 is $1.86 per litre ( $8.45 per Canadian gallon). For me the extra $ are worth the security. I will just have to jet up a bit.

Yes, it is extra insurance, but un-needed. If it makes you sleep beter at night then go for it.

As someone above said there are many people running 8 lb s of boost on just 91 octane.

I run 10 lbs of boost and have been running 70% 91 and 30% 110. I am considering goint to a 50/50 mix for the extra insurance.

If you stay 100% race fuel just rejet accordingly.

I am looking at adding bender turbo on 03 rx 1 this summer

HYERUP said:
Mountain Perf is adamant that at 12 Lbs boost (250 Hp) and up I SHOULD use straight Race fuel. It is cheap insurance in my mind...what octane fuel are you mixing with premium?
Up here we get 91 octane premium for $0.90 per litre ($4.08 per Canadian gallon). The Phillips 111 is $1.86 per litre ( $8.45 per Canadian gallon). For me the extra $ are worth the security. I will just have to jet up a bit.
I had been told by other turbo owners running sleds in bc where I ride to just use pump gas up to about 10 lbs boost perhaps even more, it sounded like they did not even think You needed Premium below 8000 feet.
as I plan to ride about 60 to 70 days a season and lots of deep snow ALPINE climbing with high Mileage cheap fuel for me is a must as is reliability I would sacrifice some power to run pump gas
but regardless would like some input on the bender turbo I am Looking at ALL turbo kits I can find but tne rear mounts interest me the most
I do not Want to Need to run Race Fuel any suggestions

Although some have gotten away with running pump fuel at 10 lbs I would not recomend it. I especially would not recomend it for 60-70 days of riding. It's jsut to big of a risk. Running a mix of race fuel you may spend a bit more on fuel but it is less than rebuilding a motor.

I run a mixture of 2 gallons of 110 octane and 8 gallons of primium 91 0ctane everywhere! not a problem and I have put over 2,000 miles on with the Turbo. I love it and after a ride I put 2 gallons of 110 in no matter how much my fuel I use on the ride. So I guess my octane is higher than I said. If I use a little over a half a tank I still put in 2 gallons of 110 just so I know I am safe.

The most boost I have seen is 13Lbs and I ran 50/50 then but I am sure I did not need to. 17Lbs I would run straight 110 octane to be safe unless you do the head gasket and pistons.

RX-1 Moose said:
By the way what are people doing to get 17lbs of boost?

Tighten the actuator rod on the wastegate. Don't do this without a good boost guage!!!!!!!!!!

Snowmotion, sounds like you would be a canidate for 10 to 1 pistons and the .054 Cometic gasket to get that extra security you are looking for. You might want to look at the McXpress rear mount. They seem to be able to run alot more boost on pump gas than the Bender Turbo. It must have something to do with volume and efficiency. There are also 8 to 1 pistons available.

Back