• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chrome vs Powdercoating

Duane

Veteran
My A-arms on my 03 Rx-1 will need attention this summer. I am torn between repainting them - powdercoating them or having them chromed. Does anybody have any thoughts relative to this? Cost comparisons? Obviously if I go the chrome route I'll do the springs, tie rods and all else thats painted in that area.

Auskins said:
easier to clean and harder to scratch and looks just as good[/quo

My words exactley, I also run race car,cermamic coated exhaust looks like chrome, still looks like when it was done ,4 years ago!!! ;)!

Ummm, dumb question i am sure, but what is powdercoating and what is the reason for it? Is it for more than just looks?

I suggest you powdercoat them rather than plating them with chrome. Getting the chrome plating done correctly involves a 3 layer plating process and is going to be very expensive. I do not believe the plating will offer as much corrosion resistance as the powder coating. The powder coating will be MUCH tougher than repainting them. The paint will come right off with any sand blasting process however the powdercoated will require heating the parts to a high temp. to breakdown the coating followed by grit blasting. I think you will be very satisfied with the powdercoating. I am in the process of powdercoating all of the steel components used in teh rear skid. Powdercoating will last a LONG time.

There are many places poping up that do the powdercoating, go with someone who has the experience and a good reputation.

Any idea of the name of a blue powder to match the hood? There's probably a whole wack of blues to pick from.

Back