• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

CLUTCH WEIGHTS

backonblack

Is it posibile to change the clutch weights on a rx1 without removing the clutch. If so what is the trick or secret.
Thanks B.O.B :Rockon:

yes it is, but be sure to not loose the 2 small plastic washer on the pin.

You make one after one, not the easiest way, but the quicker i think

backonblack said:
Is it posibile to change the clutch weights on a rx1 without removing the clutch. If so what is the trick or secret.
Thanks B.O.B :Rockon:

You cloud remove the clutch cover and do it that way or pry the moveable sheave towards the fixed and put a clamp over them and do it that way.

There might be other ways of doing this but I just get a deep socket that is bigger than the bolt. I use a hydralic jack put it against my center pole in garage, take the bolts out change my weights and I'm good to go. There are tools you can get to do this but I don't see a need for them unless your on the trail and if you are a tree will help out if need be.

I'm not the best wrench in the toolbox by any means, but I don't get the question nor why it's such a big deal to change the weights. Why would you completely pull the primary clutch to change weights?

Tonight was the first time I've ever messed with a snowmobile clutch but I put in a Stage II clutch kit and it was a piece of cake.

I just took the belt off, then took the cover off the primary and changed the weights one by one. Each had 2 allen set screws, plus one bolt.

Changing the helix on the secondary was a bit trickier. It was easy to get the old off but when I went to put the spring and new helix back on, I needed a 3rd hand (my wife helped). Because I pushed in and rotated the helix but I needed her to start the nut.

Bob, when your using the bolts in the primary to tighten the cover up and pull everything together. You don't want to strip the threads when you are doing that. I'm not saying thats what you did but if you needed help with your secondary you would have needed help with the primary too!

Bob, when your using the bolts in the primary to tighten the cover up and pull everything together. You don't want to strip the threads when you are doing that. I'm not saying thats what you did but if you needed help with your secondary you would have needed help with the primary too!

Hmm. Well, on the secondary there was a LOT of pressure with the spring so it was all I could to to turn the helix and force it in against the spring, then my wife started the nuts.

But on the primary, there was very little pressure from the spring (and it didn't need to be rotated like the secondary helix because there is no "slot" for the spring).

So the primary was absolutely no big deal.

Like I said this is the first time I've ever touched a snowmobile clutch so maybe I'm missing something but I still don't understand the original question about taking off the clutch. Why would you do that?

primary

i drilled a hole in the side cover the same size as that of the srx and used an srx plug to fill the hole. looks stk. this way you only need to take two screws out to remove the primary as for instaleing the primary spring just set it on the floor and kneel ont with a belt in it to hold it open then put the cover bolts in hand tight. shure speeds up clutch tuneing with that hole and not haveing to remove the whole side cover ;)!

Back