• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Engine cutting out in a steep climb & a skid question

Arctic RX

Extreme
I saw a post a while ago regarding the engine cutting out when climbing. Anyone know where to find this post or know what the fix is :?:
I own an '03 shorty and I'm considering a 136" extension with 1.25" ripsaw. Any suggestions on extensions or track lenths would be appreciated. I heard some negative things about different lenths (136"), and I'm willing to go with a 144" if the 136 doesn't climb well :? . I don't live on the west coast so I think the 144" is the longest skid I would need.

Thanks,

For the mountain sleds - we all got new float bowls to cure the cutting out issue as a free fix from Yamaha. In the last issue of snowtech they mentioned something about some 'special' jets that would cure the issue as well.

Check with your dealer - I'm not sure if the float bowls are available as a over the counter kit for the non-mountain sleds or not.

Extending track

If all you do is go thru the twisties, and stay on the trails, then you can pick any track you want. But personally, I like the longer track machines because they float over the bumps better. Shorter units fall into the holes and makes for a rougher ride. I own a mountain and it trail rides pretty decently. It has 151 and I find fewer faults with the longer track. I would never go back to a short track unit. Of course I am not interested in roaring past everything on the trail either. Of course that doesn't mean snow flakes get to settle on the rear step. The hookup is better and when you sqeeze the throttle, you better be hang'n on tight.

Good luck

I'm with Smokless1, I too have a Mountain RX1, and I love it. I also had the cutting out on steep grades. Not around here in good ol Michigan, but in Wyoming. I just had the float bowls done and havn't had the chance to see if it is taken care of yet. I will the week of the 23 of Feb. I have also had the overheating problem, which I have the new cooler coming for but havn't seen it yet.

I looked at that issue of Snowtech last night - the 'special jets' are made by Thunder Products and cost $8 each.

Thanks guys, I'll be buying both jets and float bowls ASAP. As to the skid? I'll probably buy the 136" extensions to save money. 144" expert-X would be nice but I think it might be a hand full in the corners (I'm only 165lbs.). Plus it's too expensive once converted to CDN$. Maybe someday. :lol:

Back