• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Exhaust Donuts Additional Damage

energeezer

Veteran
My exhaust donuts are shot. 5000 miles on sled. At the end of previous ride and throughout the last ride (approx 400 Miles) I have noticed the exhaust note is changed at idle and there is some backfiring. Towards the end of the ride the backfiring was becoming more common.
It’s the end of the season here. Perhaps 2 rides left and I don’t want to take the sled in at this point.
What are the risks of running this thing when I know there is an issue with the donuts?

I just did mine. Not a huge deal. Took me 3 hours taking my time. Donuts are 10. a piece. Well worth the time and effort, not to mention cheaper than a y-pipe. If you order the donuts on a UPS overnight, you'll have your sled done by the weekend. Thats what I did.

Y-pipes can go, may have already been destoyed. I have a left side Y-pipe with about 400 miles on it, (No damage or wear) if you find that you need one.

5000miles is not bad i have arounds 4000km on mine and had them changed twice already..

SKIP you need to change your avtar its to distracting!!!

i just replaced my y-pipe/mid pipe,mine cracked 1in past the donut.i went with BENDER RACING HEADER,its a little heavier but not by much.you could weld it but it won't last long im sure.it also gives me a little more hp,thats always good!! ;)!

niko said:
Can those Y pipes be welded if they crack?
My 06 APEX started back firing at 7200 miles and sure enough donuts were shot and pipe where donut sits had a big V shaped split in it .Son- inlaw who works for me is handy with a mig welder and a grinder fixed it like new in 2-3 hrs. I now have 8700 miles trouble free!!! Be sure to grind lots off the heal of the clamps that hold the donuts in place. ;)!

I believe that the Apex Y pipe is titanium just like the 05 RX1. If they are you will need some one with a tig welder, titanium welding rod (300.00 per lb) and some one that can tig very thin metal.
I am not sure if the donut went first on my sled then the Y pipe or the Y pipe took out the donuts. Any how I went with the 03/04 RX1 stanless steel Y pipe. I understand that they will also work on a Apex but have to be shortened a little. Much stronger than the titanium, and much cheaper.
Bruce

Do not wait on Donut replacement

I personally would not wait to change the donuts. I am speaking from experience, as I just changed mine. My '07 was a little nosier and that noise seems to creep up on you, but the last ride it started backfiring. Upon taking it apart I found not only the donuts finished, but a ypipe (right side) was worn out by the clamping area. So, I changed the donuts plus the y-pipe. Some dealers are unaware, but their is a factory stainless steel replacement for the stock titanium ypipe. This part just came out for the Apex a couple of weeks ago.It is considerably less expensive and if need be, easily repaired in the future.
One thing that I have learned from this is, I will be checking the donuts every summer to avoid this mid-winter repair. Good luck with your task.

niko said:
Can those Y pipes be welded if they crack?
YES! I welded mine last year,and thier holding up well. I also cut 3/16 inch off the flex pipes that extends past the doughnut,because that's what wore through the headers. Grinde off 1/8 inch off the stops on the clamps.

Attachments

• christmas 2008 004.jpg
    christmas 2008 004.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 102
  • christmas 2008 003.jpg
    christmas 2008 003.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 94
  • christmas 2008 005.jpg
    christmas 2008 005.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 109

Back