• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fox floats VS Ohlins

4strokesmoke

Extreme
whatcha guys think save a few pounds up front with the Fox floats
OR
save a few pounds from my wallet and buy the baller Ohlins up front to match the one in the rear :bling

Anybody ever compair the two? :yam:

I can't really give you any comparision information, as I have not run both styles. I just put Fox Floats on my Rage this fall, so I cannot say as to the performance of them yet. I wasn't going to do anything but I came across a really good deal that I couldn't pass up on them. Once we get some snow and I get some miles on them I will post some information on them.

Y1

i went with floats for weight but everyone i talked with liked the floats.

going on custom 05 rage

I have both

I like the fox floats a lot for fat loss good in the rolling ruff stuff am rebuilding set now with six grand for miles have two set of ohlins 06 apex 05 er rx1 & rx1 03 short also sell ohlins I like the ohlins better myself but they cost more too. My 2 cents go ohlins if you ride the hard chop they will take it ohlins will last longer I had a pair of short travel srx fronts with 10 grand on them befor I had nit tanks ohlins where floored how good they looked inside yes they are still on a sled after6 years no 8 where off a 600 sx 600 power surge buy here in Alaska I also have two sets of full race viper set for irondog raceing many miles on them I had mine on long travel srx monster ps to all using advant edge rod extentions please remove asap I snapped a set racing went down around 80 endoed excuse snapped one left side walked away all beat up but walked away. PS I like alot big people beat me up for not paying up my bill take them off there is not a nuff meat in the female part of extention talked with advant they where very cool asked me to send the part never did but where all ears got to respect that always treated right on the phone used a lot of there stuff but got pushed over the stress limit I think last always had chicks asking mr what kind of shocks where the ohlins chick magnets of course I told them only for raceing sweet heart for the big dogs!

Re: I have both

irondog rtx said:
I like the fox floats a lot for fat loss good in the rolling ruff stuff am rebuilding set now with six grand for miles have two set of ohlins 06 apex 05 er rx1 & rx1 03 short also sell ohlins I like the ohlins better myself but they cost more too. My 2 cents go ohlins if you ride the hard chop they will take it ohlins will last longer I had a pair of short travel srx fronts with 10 grand on them befor I had nit tanks ohlins where floored how good they looked inside yes they are still on a sled after6 years no 8 where off a 600 sx 600 power surge buy here in Alaska I also have two sets of full race viper set for irondog raceing many miles on them I had mine on long travel srx monster ps to all using advant edge rod extentions please remove asap I snapped a set racing went down around 80 endoed excuse snapped one left side walked away all beat up but walked away. PS I like alot big people beat me up for not paying up my bill take them off there is not a nuff meat in the female part of extention talked with advant they where very cool asked me to send the part never did but where all ears got to respect that always treated right on the phone used a lot of there stuff but got pushed over the stress limit I think last always had chicks asking mr what kind of shocks where the ohlins chick magnets of course I told them only for raceing sweet heart for the big dogs!
Didn't understand a word you said :drink:

I went through this same decision for my 05 Vector... I already upgraded the skid with Ohlins and wanted to next go with Fox Floats up front. However, after talking to a few shock experts (Bruce @ Pioneer and Ross @ Hygear) and getting some seat time on my buddy's RTX, I decided that a premium coilover shock is still superior to the Fox Floats. Yes, the Floats will save you some weight and offer a rising rate "spring" for the big bumps, but you can tune a coilover to do the same (except the weight savings, but we're only talking a few pounds that really becomes insignificant when you consider the effects of ice buildup, rider weights, full vs. empty gas tank, etc.) Did you get a chance to read the recent magazine article about Hygear's Float upgrade kit. Hygear has to do ~ $800 worth of additional upgrades to the Floats to get them to offer good all around trial performance in addition to the natural big bump capability. Ross at Hygear opinion is that you can't beat the perfromance of a coilover when tuned properly. Bruce at Pioneer seems to support that opinion as well. In fact, Bruce likes the GYTR shocks that Yammy puts on the GT sleds. You get adjustability for both rebound and compression dampening while the Ohlin only gives you compression adjustment. I was lucky and picked up a brand new set of GYTR's off a guy's 07 Apex GT because he wanted to upgrade to Ohlins right out of the gate. These shocks are very well build, almost rivaling the quality of an Ohlin. The only downfall is that you can't get all the parts if you break something. Only a select group of parts are available for servicing the shock like seals, pistons, shims, etc. So, if you wad-up your front end on tree and bend a shock shaft, you're buying whole new assy, but they only list for $305 ea which is quite reasonable.

So, my vote for you is to pickup a set of GYTR's for their features, availability, adjustablility and relatively low cost. Fox's are definitely a nice shock, but they have been build specifically for banging big bumps all day and seem to be just bragging rights for people who don't really need them.

My 2-cents...
;)!

Back