• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Fuel octane for Rx-1

blue05rx1

Veteran
I'm confused on what fuel octane to run in my stock 05. I read on an earlier post that premium fuel is not recommended, yet the owners manual says to run 89 or higher. I have always thought the higher the octane 89 vs. 93, the cleaner It burned. Also, with riding in northern MI I've always pumped premium into our 2 strokes simply because the fuel can be questionable. So, what are you fellow Rx-1 owners running? I think I'm still going to stick with premium.

Jim

I run 87 or 89 whichever is cheaper as long as its not ethinal!

Lower octain burns faster.... Higher octain burns slower...

You need High octain for vehicals with very high compresson... But multable valves, aluminum heads and cam overlap plays a huge role in what fuel you can burn!

BRIAN,
How do you know which grade has the least ethonal ??(sp?) ??

I see oft times the generic sticker ( may contain up to 10% eth...)
But that dont tell me poop.
but which grade has less/more of the farmer fuel??

I dont know about you but the pumps i see usually have a 10%ethinal sticker on them usually on the 89 octain pump... So then i run 87...

I used 87 to 89 last year and put 2800 miles on my Warrior and it ran great! ;)!

Sometimes ethanol is used on premium grade when its priced the same as standard grade. They must disclose it on the pumps. Ethanol and isopropyl should be avoided in any fuel system. I run standard grade fuel.

Ethanol burns cleaner as well as upping the octane. Many states use it for emmision purposes. The manual states that ethanol is OK as long as it doesn't exceed 5%

Back