• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Long tracking XTX to 151 2 inch

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Polaris RMK Shift 144
I tried a search but I didnt get a lot of information. Looking at the sale on tracksusa, I was thinking of long tracking my XTX from 144X1.5 crossover track to 151X2 inch Poo track. I know the front will clear the cooler once protectors are removed but what about length out back with tipped up rail? With crappy trade in values, I dont feel like eating 1200 to trade it. I am moving to KS so west (CO/WY) is closer so a 2 inch track would perform better except they dont climb well. My brother put a 144 2 inch on his and still couldnt climb well (trenching) but did ok in the bowl. If anyone has some good input let me know.
thanks
Mitch

Talk to Scott at OFT, I think he can help you out with the extension and more.

I was going to do the same thing to mine but my father-in-law bought a second mountain sled and I can rent that real cheap.

I did just take my xtx and rode at 10-11,00 ft. I did learn a few things that may help you. Biggest issue for me was lack of RPMs

At the begining of the year I had set my XTX up for more off trail than on trail riding. I did not focus on setting it up for the mountains.

Changes I made to make my xtx for off trail
- Curve skiis
- Suspension re-valved(huge improvement for bumps)
- 1.75" back country
- Avid 9 tooth Extroverts
- Hy-Gear torsion spring inserts (raised back end)
- Billet 4 setting torsion spring adjusters
- Marginal snow wheel kit
- Yamaha skid plate
- Yamaha mountain strap (Need it!)
- Roest Racing IP Vent (Help keep it cool, WORKED GREAT)
- 2" Rox Riser

After riding in the mountains I wanted to make it more of a mountain sled. These are things I would further change on my sled.
- Get OFT handle bar relocator and use with risers so bars turn flat instead of down
- Change gearing from 21/39 to 19/39 or 19/40 if you got $$$ ( I was only getting about 7,400 rpms pushing snow)
- 8 tooth avid drivers to give plenty of room for 2" track and help with rpms
- changes to clutch and helix for rpms and more
- extend to a 153" track and extend tunnel so I can carry gas

Since the xtx rail doesn't look like the strongest rail to begin with, I'm not sure I would want to put an extension on it. I'd look into get iceage rails...$350 for 2 complete rails, whatever length you want.

Maine-Rider said:
Why dont you sell your XTX and then buy a MTX?

Probably the right thing to do if you catch it early. Decision gets harder when you have made half the changes already.

If I only knew then what I know now! :o|

Southern Renegade said:
that is the decision I made is to go with a MTX. hard to trade sleds with mods. Really like the looks of the new Poo and it is hard to argue with a sled 100 pds lighter

Good call, wish I could do the same.

Now I just need to sell my wifes sled and buy a mountain sled and let her use the xtx when we are out together.

I would go to aftermarket non tiped up rails. I ride a MTX any only ride the deep stuff in AK. I shortened mine to 144 though and will never look back. Im not sure, how does the XTX skid perform? If its any good I would just get rid of the tip up rails go to 7 tooth (I think) Avids and 20-40 or 19-40 gearing with some good clutching and a 144 2.5 CE. Im not sure how much room you have behind your seat on a stock set up MTX but with my shortened MTX with a Skinz seat and undertunnel exhaust I hauled a 5 gallon race jug right behind my seat (right over the rear drop brackets :Rockon:) and had another 2 gallons behind that with extra room last weekend. If your running high elivations I would run 19-40 gearing for sure. I couldnt pull my r's at 2500 feet with good clutching last weekend.

My opinions are for a guy looking for a sporty handling sled and not a all out high marking sled though. I do get everywhere I need to go but would be left looking for more If I went out riding with a bunch of 153"+ 2 smokes highmarking all day. I would also guess you will be looking to reduce your ski presure as well as reducing my ski presure and dropping down to the 144 made my sled a whole new animal and so much more fun to ride.

Just another opinion

Back