• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Hyfax Almost gone after only 1/2 mile!!!

subysti04

Extreme
OK what did I do wrong. I replaced my hyfax with Riders' Choice UHMW slides. I was crossing a lake and could smell them burning. I know that this is not a good situation but I didn't think they would melt that fast. Total trip was about 1/2 mile and the slides are almost completly gone. Why? There is also a lot of black rubber from the track. Why Why Why?

subysti04 said:
OK what did I do wrong. I replaced my hyfax with Riders' Choice UHMW slides. I was crossing a lake and could smell them burning. I know that this is not a good situation but I didn't think they would melt that fast. Total trip was about 1/2 mile and the slides are almost completly gone. Why? There is also a lot of black rubber from the track. Why Why Why?
Something is not right. What are you riding? I put new slides on prior to this season. I've done about 1100 miles including somewhere between 10 and 20 on bare roads, not to mention a 20 - 30 on lakes. Most of my sliders are nearly 15mm thick - no where is there less than 14mm left (wear limit is 10mm).

Everything is relative,,,,1/2 mile can be a very short distance and a very long distance, all dependent upon your point of view. A 1/2 mile feels very short as you cruise at speed along your favorite stretch of trail. On the other hand, if you had to PUSH your broken down sled 1/2 mile through the woods to your truck and trailer, it would feel like half way to the end of the world.

So what am I trying to say here?

Without water or snow for lubrication, a set of steel track clips won't permit 100 feet of travel without getting too hot to touch with the naked hand.

Polyethylene is no match for 750 lbs (sled with rider) bearing directly down upon about 40 steel clips (about 40% of the total clips of a 121 inch track).

All the forums threads in the world about track tension and oversized wheels and tempering the slides etc etc, are meaningless if the rider ignores the fact that no snow = no slides.

Essarex said:
Everything is relative,,,,1/2 mile can be a very short distance and a very long distance, all dependent upon your point of view. A 1/2 mile feels very short as you cruise at speed along your favorite stretch of trail. On the other hand, if you had to PUSH your broken down sled 1/2 mile through the woods to your truck and trailer, it would feel like half way to the end of the world.

So what am I trying to say here?

Without water or snow for lubrication, a set of steel track clips won't permit 100 feet of travel without getting too hot to touch with the naked hand.

Polyethylene is no match for 750 lbs (sled with rider) bearing directly down upon about 40 steel clips (about 40% of the total clips of a 121 inch track).

All the forums threads in the world about track tension and oversized wheels and tempering the slides etc etc, are meaningless if the rider ignores the fact that no snow = no slides.
not to mention losing all your track clips in the dirt.

I think fully clipped track is important for these slides. Slides on rubber is worse than slides on metal. My mono waisted a pair of slides in about 150 miles then when the slides where down the extra 1/4 inch there is more weight on the wheels then the wheels delaminate, then the slides wear faster. I am going to add a small wheel kit eright by the rear wheels and try the teflon slides my buddies have had really good luck. Both guys have over 1500 miles on and sliders look new. Those of us with cheap slides and just the factory wheels all had to replace the slides in under 250 miles

Are you missing any track clips? If you're missing a lot of them, this could have caused your slides to wear rapidly without any lube.

subysti04 said:
As for the sled. its an 07 Apex GT. Track is loose if anything. I adjusted it according to factory specs and then lossened it a little.

probably have to loosen it more factory spec is tight

we used to temper our slides when they were new - we would heat them up then pack em with snow and let them cool all the way. never saw slides go down in 1/2 of a mile even on my son's slide eating XTX - even he is getting almost a thousand miles on a set without big wheels or anything else. if you run you slides dry - like on ice they will melt - you need good snow conditions for them to operate.

2 Years ago new hyfax and ran on hard pack for the first mile straight off the trailer and smelled the melting plastic. Should have kicked some snow in before taking off.

had the same thing happen to me once. Them I installed 135mm wheels
You might know this but if you didn't. yamaha wheels are 130 mm, skidoo wheels are 135mm. if you install the 135mm wheels you never need another pair of hyfax.

LoneRider said:
had the same thing happen to me once. Them I installed 135mm wheels
You might know this but if you didn't. yamaha wheels are 130 mm, skidoo wheels are 135mm. if you install the 135mm wheels you never need another pair of hyfax.
x2 ;)!

Back