• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ontario snowmobile trip

jeffT

Pro
I'm trying to put together a snowmobile trip together for next december. Anyone know what the conditions are like in the kapuskasing, ON. area is like around the first of december?
Is there any moutainish terrain in that area?
What about trails or are you pretty much on your own there?
Whats the altitude like in that area?
Clue me in fellow canadian snowmobilers. I really want to put on some hard miles early this season and am very curious where (within 500-700 miles) from my marinette, wis. home. A place where we could find fresh snow. Federal land without snowmobiling restrictions, etc etc.
Lets have some input.
Thanks, in advance, Jeff

first of dec is way to early for a "great" ride up there. north of lake superior is made up of rock or water. the water and swamps have to freeze and the ponds, lakes, rivers and creeks need to freeze.

i am all for early riding when conditions present themselves but you have to have realistic expectations. early season, could mean low snow, no grooming, ect...

check out the northern forum of www.ontarioconditions.com lots of good people there to give you the info you require. if you want a great time up there, mid feb to mid march is a great time. better temps longer days, and ALOT MORE SNOW.

my suggestion is to take your 500-700 mile range extend it slightly, and go ride out west in the bighorn range or snowy mountain range of wyoming. they geberally have decent snow to ride at that time. ski

I'm with skidooboy that I met at a gas station in Sault Mi... Anyways, Plan a trip at least the end of January. They don;t usually groom until the First week of Jaurary.

Back