• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Real MPG info please

Greg du Vermont

Veteran
Website
sledmagazine.com
I'm really, really torn.......Very happy with my 9,000 mile '07 RTX Apex. Time to switch. Very interested in staying 4 stroke and losing weight. The gas capacity on the nytro is a huge concern.

Please give me your real mpg experiences at agressive pace. Also I find the my apex does NOT come close to picking up all the fuel, so you max miles per tank info is needed as well.

Yami, fit and finish, quality and warranty is desired.

Being the the guy fretting about the next gas stop is not.

Thanks for your real experience info.

With 1600 miles, the worst I have gotten yet from a tank of fuel SINCE BREAKING 1000 MILES (it was worse before) is 7.28 gallons added after 96 miles for 13.19 mpg. That was pretty agressive fast trail riding. It is of course worse when playing in powder.

I am the guy fretting about gas on my rides which include mostly 600 class machines with 10 gal + tanks.

Ran out of gas at exactly 106 miles. I am 280lbs. and I run flat out in Canada all the time. This was with 500 (+)(-) miles on.

I have a MTX and get around 13.75 to 14.5 miles per canadian gallon. This gives me a range of about 85 to 90 miles for the stock tank.

Big difference between going 120 miles and 100. Keep the MPG experiences coming. Any reason to think that the '09 SE's would be any better?

Beyond me why Yami puts this huge negative on the showroom floor. Less weight!!!! It's crazy and I will not reward it by buying a $300+ after market tank. I would sooner buy a SD 1200.

In my mind the reason for the tank size was two fold -

First - Published wet weights - Yamaha could make the claim that their sled ready to ride was very close to any 2-stroke in its class (save for the XP)

Second - the sled was designed and marketed to the "ditch banger" crowd. This crowd is typically (in my mind) dominated by Firecat Sno Pro, Rev Xs, Polaris RR, Trail converted Sno Cross sleds, etc. Most of these sleds despite what others will say don't get much if any better range ~100 miles.

Yamaha marketed it like this - If you ride long days and high miles why would you want a colder, stiffer, more agressive sled - go Apex.

W/ that said, now with the release of the XTX, one would think Yamaha would realize a larger tank would be a necessity. Cross-overs are used to break trail, and go to places "unknown" were getting gas may be a problem. In my mind I would have no problem if Yamaha stayed with the small tanks for the shorties but the XTX and MTX should have gotten a 10 gallon - BUT, I am sure it has a lot to do with manufacturing costs and only creating a mold/design for one tank, etc.

My .02

If you trail and Lake ride mainly, I would not rule out a newer Apex or even a Vector. Depends on priorities, MPG wise you cant beat a vector.

Still a 09 Nytro has some advantages for ditch banging and deeper powder. There I'd push for a bigger aftermarket tank, because I like long bagger trips, and higher mileage days

I just orderered a Nytro RTX SE. I usually ride northern Vermont, NH and canada. THe only place I am really worried about gas is Canada. I plan on buying the Trail tank or a tour buddy. I loved my apex, but I could never get it to handle the bumps well, even revalving and re springing. I realize I will be losing some top end, but the ability to ride on Bumpy trails and not break suspension parts is worth it.I plan on sevral Bagger trips next season on the Nytro, it wont be perfect for it, but IT can be done.

14.5 is my number.. I feel confident that I could hit 100 miles all day long, maybe even between 105 or 110 till she's dry. I just don't see mine hitting 120. I rode it hard and I rode it for milage. I didn't notice a big difference in MPG. Good Luck to ya.

Greg du Vermont said:
Big difference between going 120 miles and 100. Keep the MPG experiences coming. Any reason to think that the '09 SE's would be any better?

Beyond me why Yami puts this huge negative on the showroom floor. Less weight!!!! It's crazy and I will not reward it by buying a $300+ after market tank. I would sooner buy a SD 1200.

have fun on you Dooo....nice sled.

mine is around 100 mile max when trail riding in Ontario.....never been over, will install trail tank this summer.

I think with the right trail conditions, running maybe 60 - 70 mph on hard pack with a lot of miles between stop signs you may get 120 miles/tank, but around here with road crossings every 1-2 miles & the occasional drag racing across a field, jumping a drift here & there.....100 miles per tank is about as good as I can get!

I put 2700 miles on my nytro and I got about 14-15mpg riding aggressive and 16-17 cruising.I ride groomed trails in vermont and maine.

MPG

I have 2000 miles on and get consistantly 16 to 17.5 MPG like clock work I trail ride and once in a while I ride it like I stole it !!! so I have no problems getting 120- 130 out of a tank. My buddys on the apex were always suprised at how well this machine does SO no after market tank for me !

;)!

Back