• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

spark plug 998

max rolph

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
998 turbo
soo changed plugs last night to try the new dual ground, CR9EK, torqued to spec and buttoned all up and went around the block, never got above 10lbs boost then all of a sudden.... has anyone had this happen? lucky it stayed in coil boot and the threaded part was easy to get out by hand with easy out, the threaded portion is paper thin wher it broke. i even installed with a dab of anti sieze when i torqued in... was only like 1/2 turn past hand tight. must be a bad batch.

Attachments

• spark.jpg
    spark.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 192
  • spark1.jpg
    spark1.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 189

soo changed plugs last night to try the new dual ground, CR9EK, torqued to spec and buttoned all up and went around the block, never got above 10lbs boost then all of a sudden.... has anyone had this happen? lucky it stayed in coil boot and the threaded part was easy to get out by hand with easy out, the threaded portion is paper thin wher it broke. i even installed with a dab of anti sieze when i torqued in... was only like 1/2 turn past hand tight. must be a bad batch.
I always seat the plug then loosen and reseat. Just to make sure.

Yikes!
No, I've never had that happen.

I've broke the porcelain out of the plug, loosened the porcelain and even loosened the plug on two-stokes with deto however. Have to wonder if it Detoed a bit if torquing down may have cracked the steel and it just popped the plug out there. These plugs are so small Ive often wondered how much strength there really is.

Same plugs I use by the way too. CR9EK, typically change them every season.

That could have been a really bad headache, not sure if I say your lucky or unlucky!
But no, never seen or heard of a plug doing that.

Did you buy those plugs on Amazon or eBay? Lots of fake NGKs being sold On those sites. Google it. I was shocked when I found out.

yea this was weird as knapp stated, i had only just left garage and went around the block to meet buddy, wasnt 400yrds from home... no throttle hardly... then pop it sounded like a blown exhaust running on 2 cyl, poped the coil and plug out sitting on valve cover. if you blow up picture its like paper thing where thread is cut... im gonna say bad batch, went back and got 3 more from another box ... just in case. OMG I fn had a sick to stomach feeling thinking i was gonna have to take head off!! i just put a simple easy out on 3" extension and pushed dwn in hole while everything was still hot and it twisted out by hand... PHEW i put the 3 plugs i took out back in as they were good and went out 30 min later...

Did you buy those plugs on Amazon or eBay? Lots of fake NGKs being sold On those sites. Google it. I was shocked when I found out.

Yes, it is so weird that anybody would counterfeit NGK spark plugs, but you are right, it is a thing and there are tons of counterfeits out there yes!

I only buy them from the local Napa or Advanced Auto, because I read about all the counterfeits being sold on Amazon and eBay! I'm just guessing that counterfeits are a good possibility here in this case...

I would doubt that Royal Distributing would be selling knock offs. They are a huge company here in Canada. I would suggest it was a faulty plug as everyone makes a bad one now and then.

Spark plug torque spec is 9.4 ft-lbs. If the gas tank is out of the way and you're on it with a 3/8" ratchet, real easy to blow by that spec. Not saying you did that Max. Looks like you got a bad plug. Glad it wasn't something catastrophic!

Reactions: SPM
Spark plug torque spec is 9.4 ft-lbs. If the gas tank is out of the way and you're on it with a 3/8" ratchet, real easy to blow by that spec. Not saying you did that Max. Looks like you got a bad plug. Glad it wasn't something catastrophic!
yea what a relief... coil came right out by hand.... cant find washer though... lol prob blew under header sheild.

Back