• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Spark Plug change on 2016 Viper

JAZZ04RX1

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 SR Viper LTX-LE
I have a 2016 Viper with 8K miles on it. Starting pre-season prep and was thinking about changing spark plugs. Thoughts on should I change the plugs? Sled starts and runs fine. If I do change them what plugs do you recommend to replace them with?

Thanks

It's worth pulling them, your gonna get varying answers on this. It's probably due for new plugs though. I have a 16 Viper too but only 2,500 miles. As far as the plug itself some like the dual electrode EK series and some like the single electrode E series NGK plugs.

I replace the spark plugs every year. Overkill - yes, but seasons are short and the last thing I want to do is foul a plug day one of a trip. Much easier to do in my garage :)

I understand both reply’s BUT I have to admit I have never experienced a ‘fouled plug’ on a personal (>30k miles) or a TY RIDE with many 4 strokes of variously maintained sleds. So no harm either way as I see it.

I understand both reply’s BUT I have to admit I have never experienced a ‘fouled plug’ on a personal (>30k miles) or a TY RIDE with many 4 strokes of variously maintained sleds. So no harm either way as I see it.
Me either :) A friend does new carbides and hyfax every year regardless. Again, trips are expensive and would hate to lose riding time.

I did foul a plug on a new to me Seadoo this summer. It is an '18 and I'm sure the plugs had never been changed. Of course it happened July 4th and I was scrambling to find plugs before everything closed early.

13000 mi before i put plugs in my apex but i did cost myself a set of plugs in my old rx from not letting it warm up fully every time you start the sled.

Thanks for all the replies. Any insight on a procedure to getting the plugs out. have never done this before.

O.E NGK.once u get the hood off they are easy.truthfully u probably dont need to...

Thanks for all the replies. Any insight on a procedure to getting the plugs out. have never done this before.
You don't have to take the full hood off, as the plugs can be accessed through the opening when the right side panel is off. Saves the hassle of the full hood removal; but this is tight though, and it is a bit hard to get the leverage to first pull up the cylindrical wire connectors to access the plugs, particularly on the leftmost one as it is furthest away. Similarly, after the change, pushing those connectors back right down tight can be tough too doing it this way, but overall this is probably the easiest / quickest way once you get the hang of it. When actually changing the plugs, I use electrical tape and tape the spark plug socket to a short socket extension so as to avoid the socket coming off the tool down in the plug hole.

You don't have to take the full hood off, as the plugs can be accessed through the opening when the right side panel is off. Saves the hassle of the full hood removal; but this is tight though, and it is a bit hard to get the leverage to first pull up the cylindrical wire connectors to access the plugs, particularly on the leftmost one as it is furthest away. Similarly, after the change, pushing those connectors back right down tight can be tough too doing it this way, but overall this is probably the easiest / quickest way once you get the hang of it. When actually changing the plugs, I use electrical tape and tape the spark plug socket to a short socket extension so as to avoid the socket coming off the tool down in the plug hole.
btw - if you are not having any problems with how the engine is running then the plugs are probably ok; even for sled type duty cycles, spark plugs should go a good while in a modern 4-stroke especially if EFI. If you really feel you want peace of mind, maybe pull the closest one to the right side panel and have a look at it?

Back