• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starting After Tank Drain

skyking

I bought an '05 RS-ER two years ago in March for $3200 with 3200 miles on it.

I always drain the tank and the carb bowls for summer storage due the the CRAPPY gas we have to deal with {ethanol 10%}. For the past two seasons, once I refill the tank it takes a full 90 seconds of cranking to get the fuel from the tank into the carbs, fill the bowls, then into the jets so the engine will start. I crank only 10 seconds at a time to save overheating the starter motor, and it takes a good 9 or 10 times before it starts. Once it is 'fueled up', it will start with just a touch of the key after that as it always has.

Didn't even pull it out of the trailer here in NH last year, maybe I'll get a ride this season. Especially after buying it end of season two years ago and putting $800 into it at Woody's in Topsham, Maine for Cam Chain Tensioner Replacement, new Excell X-Wheel oversized Bogie Wheel set install, 4th Wheel kit, new sliders, and triple carbide kit from Bergstrom's (as well as an oil change while at Woody's). So I have the equivalent of a brand new sled just waiting to go for a ride.

So, if you have drained your tank and carbs, be patient, it will start, and crank in little 10 seconds spurts to save the starter.

If you pressurize the gas tank by blowing air into the vent line the gas should get there quicker. If I leave the sled without starting it for more than a month it takes alot of cranking but if I use the vent trick it usually fires up in a few seconds.

I just use starting fluid it takes very little to get these motors going. I've been doing it for 7 years without any issues.

You are playing with fire with starting fluid. I once used the stuff to start my 92 Toyota and set the car on fire in my garage. Just start it once a month and run it for 15 to 20 minutes. Saves on the starter too.

Vectornut said:
You are playing with fire with starting fluid. I once used the stuff to start my 92 Toyota and set the car on fire in my garage. Just start it once a month and run it for 15 to 20 minutes. Saves on the starter too.

would running for 20 mins in the summer not overheat the motor?

I can't let mine idle in the winter for 15 to 20 minutes let alone summer or fall. They are supposed to auto shutoff if you let them idle too long and overheat but I have never seen mine shutoff before the temp light comes on and I turn it off manually.

new4stroker said:
Vectornut said:

would running for 20 mins in the summer not overheat the motor?
why run it for 20 mins? I think just to run until the red light goes off should be plenty long.

RSVECTORFREAK said:
I can't let mine idle in the winter for 15 to 20 minutes let alone summer or fall. They are supposed to auto shutoff if you let them idle too long and overheat but I have never seen mine shutoff before the temp light comes on and I turn it off manually.

Auto shut off or limp mode?

I have run mine in the summer and it usually takes about 5-10 minutes with frequent track pulls to get it up to temp. (can't touch HX)

I really think if you're just letting it idle, you're doing more harm than good.

Back